by Vanessa Van Petten
If I had to boil all of the parenting advice teens tell me they wish their parents knew, here is what they would say:
1. When you say ‘no,’ to us, that means maybe.
2. We are more mature than you think, but feign naiveté when convenient.
3. Having secrets from you is part of us feeling grown up (but they are not all bad).
4. I swear, the piles of dirty dishes, laundry and discarded shoes do not scream to us like they scream to you.
5. Please do not use parent relativity—however it was like when you were little/for our siblings/neighbors/friends, it IS different for us.
Previous post: I Scream Creatively