The holidays provide super opportunities to keep preschoolers on track toward becoming “super readers.” Following are some tips from the experts behind Super WHY about making the most of the season:
• Have your child decipher the special message inside your Christmas cards and read the names of family and friends out loud to you as you address the envelopes. Your “super readers” will enjoy reading the notes inside the holiday greetings that arrive in your own mailbox, too!
• Bring your kids along for some Christmas shopping and let them sound out the signs in the store (i.e. “toys,” “home & garden,” “bedding,” etc.).
• Help your children compose their “wish list” for Santa -- and work together to write one for yourself, too!
• Get a cozy fire going or make some hot cocoa and warm up with your child while reading a Christmas classic storybook.
One lucky winner will receive the DVD, Super WHY: ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas and Other Fairytale Adventures! To enter, go to http://pbskids.org/superwhy , and then return here to leave a comment about something you liked on the site. You must do this to enter the giveaway.
You can earn optional, additional entries by... (leave a separate comment for each)
- Following PBS Kids ( @PBSKids ) and Susan Heim on Parenting ( @ParentingAuthor ) on Twitter and tweeting about this giveaway. You may tweet three times a day. (Please space them at least an hour apart.) Leave a separate comment with the URL of each tweet. (1 entry per tweet)
- Subscribing to Susan Heim on Parenting via email, RSS and/or Kindle (see sign-up options on left sidebar). Leave a comment for each subscription method. (1 entry for each subscription method for up to 3 entries)
- Liking Susan Heim on Parenting on Facebook . (1 entry)
- Liking PBS Kids on Facebook . (1 entry)
- Following Susan Heim on Parenting through Google Friend Connect. Click on the “Follow” button on the left sidebar. Leave a comment. (1 entry)
- Placing a button for Susan Heim on Parenting on your blog (the code is in the upper right-hand column of this site) and/or a text link on your blog roll. Post a comment with your blog’s URL. (1 entry for button; 1 entry for text link)
- Posting this giveaway on your blog with a link to this page. Leave a comment with a direct link to the post. (3 entries; leave a separate comment for each)
One winner will be randomly selected from the qualified comments received by Saturday, December 18, 2010, at 11:59 PM ET. Please leave an email address on one of your comments if it’s not available on your Blogger profile. Winners must respond within 72 hours or another winner will be drawn. Contest is open to US residents only.
DISCLOSURE: No products or compensation were provided for this post. As an Amazon affiliate, I receive a small commission on sales made through the Amazon links in this post.