Well, it has happened. My daughter’s best friend had head lice, which of course puts my family at high risk for contracting this parasite. I immediately reread Jessica Gottlieb’s post Head Lice (Leave Mommy alone, She’s Shaking in the Corner) and sent my kids to school with tea tree oil sprinkled in their hair.
Head lice causes many natural families to resort to chemicals, but you don’t need to. There are a lot of weird things people try in order to get rid of it (mayonnaise, kerosene [do not try this!]. The most common over the counter solutions are pediculicide containing shampoo, which Pediatrics call non-toxic. Other lice remedies contain the neurotoxins permethrin, pyrethrin, or malathion. Even though pyrethrin and permethrin are naturally-derived from chrysanthemum flowers, its use should be avoided in children for obvious reasons. Furthermore, head lice is becoming resistant to these chemical, toxic solutions.
According to Harvard Medical School :
You can get rid of head lice naturally. It just takes repeated, vigilant practice. Follow these steps:
Be sure you check everyone in your family and treat accordingly.
Olive oil works to suffocate the adult bugs. It can be reapplied without worrying about toxicity, and it works on bugs that would be resistant and thus unresponsive to repeated chemical applications.