Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:
Search posts:

Neurologist and Neurosurgeon Appointments

Posted Mar 12 2012 9:38pm 1 Comment
Yesterday Violet had her Neurologist review.

We again discussed Violet's chronic daily headaches and I asked him if he thought it may in fact be her epilepsy medication Epilim causing them. Violet has been medicated for her seizures for 4 years now but she has only been on Epilim for the past 2 years. I have worked out her daily headaches have been going on for approx 18 months.

Neurologist tried to call Violet's neurosurgeon to hear what the official ICP results were but he was in surgery. I did explain to him we would be seeing him today anyway and not to worry as it would only be waiting one more day.

Even though I have multiple alarms to remind me to medicate Violet twice daily,  I forgot on Sunday morning and by then it was too late to administer it. Guess what she didn't have that headache. Then after I gave it to her in the evening she had a headache straight away when she went to bed.

He hadn't personally heard that Epilim could cause headaches but looked it up and sure enough they do in a small percentage of people (10%) seems Violet may be in that percentage. He has decided to try her on Keppra and slowly wean her off the Epilim to see if it helps.

Don't know what the chances of Keppra causing headaches will be as it one it's side effects too :(

Of course this comes with a huge risk, tweaking with seizures meds will make her susceptible to having  seizures. I really hope Keppra controls her seizures as well as Epilim has the past 2 years. Such a hard decision seizures vs daily headaches, no way do I want to see her seizures not controlled but at the same time her daily headaches are extremely debilitating and feel I have to try it for Violet's sake.

Her neurologist was up until then going to try another analgesic which in my opinion will only mask the real issues.

This morning we again met with her Neurosurgeon to discuss her recent ICP monitoring. He said there were no massive spikes in pressure from the readings. So seems all is well with her shunt which is fantastic!!

He is happy to see how the different seizure med goes and review her in 1 year all being well.

Comments (1)
Sort by: Newest first | Oldest first

I am now taking Keppra/Levetiracetam with my Dilantin/Pheyntoin for 10 yrs now and the Keppra has done wonders for me. I use to have grand-mal seizures every month for 24 yrs until I found the Keppra. For me it is a mircle drug! I have been sezure free as long as I keep taking it.

Good Luck Violet

Post a comment
Write a comment:

Related Searches