Healthy Breakfast = protein + fruits or vegetables + whole grains + calcium
• Peanut butter and fruit spread on whole wheat toast, ½ an orange and a glass of milk
• Peanut butter spread on apple slices and a bowl of whole grain cereal with milk
• Toasted whole wheat bagel spread with peanut butter and honey, topped with slices of bananas and a glass of milk
• Bowl of oatmeal with brown sugar, peanut butter and milk and a glass of orange juice
• Breakfast burrito: scrambled egg, black beans, and salsa wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla and a glass of orange juice
• Breakfast Pizza: Toasted English muffin spread with marinara sauce, topped with a scrambled egg, sprinkled with cheese and toasted. Served with a glass of fruit juice
• Toasted English muffin, a hardboiled egg, a glass of milk and a bowl of strawberries
• Morning Classic: Scrambled egg, a slice of American cheese on a toasted bagel with fresh apple slices
YOGURT & CHEESE
• Yogurt, whole wheat toast, buttered, a handful of raisins and a glass of water
• Fruit smoothie with toasted whole wheat bagel with butter
• Toasted whole wheat bagel with cream cheese, topped with sliced mango and a glass of milk
• Slice of cheese melted on whole-wheat toast with orange slices and a glass of milk
GRAINS & CEREALS
• A bowl of whole-grain cereal with milk, a banana and a glass of water
• Buckwheat pancakes with maple syrup, a bowl of melon and a glass of milk
• Carrot Cake Muffin, a handful of cashews, grapes and a glass of milk
• French Toast with maple syrup, cinnamon apples and a glass of milk.
MEAT & BEANS
• Grilled ham with fresh pineapple, toast and a glass of milk
• Melt a slice of cheese on top of White Bean dip (or refried beans) spread on a toasted English Muffin. Serve with a glass of fruit juice
• Smoked salmon, tomato slice and cream cheese on a toasted bagel with a glass of orange juice
• Breakfast BLT: Turkey Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato and cream cheese on toast, with a glass of apple juice
French Toast with Cinnamon Apples
French toast does not have to be a weekend treat. Make 8-10 pieces and freeze the slices (separate the slices with wax paper) in a freezer storage bag. When a French Toast morning arrives, take the French Toast slices out of the freezer, pop them into the toaster oven and get the syrup and apples ready!
1/4 cup milk
8-10 pieces whole wheat bread
Cooking spray or 1 tsp butter
Cinnamon Apples (recipe below)
Heat a flat, non-stick pan over medium heat. Spray the pan with cooking spray or melt the butter and swirl around to cost the bottom of the pan. In a flat-bottomed bowl or rimmed dish whisk together egg, milk and cinnamon. Working one slice at a time, dip both sides of the bread slice in the egg mixture and place in the warm pan. Brown both sides of the bread using a spatula to flip the bread slice over (about 2 minutes on each side). Place on plate. Serve with cinnamon apples and maple syrup.
2 Golden Delicious apples
Dash of cinnamon
Wash, peel, and core the apples. Cut the apples into ½ inch pieces. Place the apple pieces in a plastic bag and sprinkle a dash of cinnamon over them. Close the bag and shake it so the cinnamon is distributed evenly over all of the slices. Place the apples in a microwave-safe dish and cook them in the microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes. Let them stand for 5 minutes. They are done if a fork slides into them easily. Can be frozen.
Carrot Cake Muffins
A store-bought cake mix makes this recipe a snap! Freezing these delicious muffins can make breakfast better (and easier) than ever! Simply defrost and eat.
1 Package Spice Cake Mix (plus the ingredients listed on the box to make it)
2 cups carrots shredded
1 can crushed pineapple, drained
¾ cup pecans, chopped
Paper Baking Cups for the muffin pan
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the muffin pans with baking cups. Prepare the cake mix according to the package directions. Stir in the carrots, pineapple and pecans. Spoon the batter into the muffin cups. Bake for 30 minutes. Check for doneness by sliding a toothpick into the center of a muffin. If it comes out clean, they are done. If not, bake another 5 minutes and check again. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans.
Quiche is quick to make, and makes a healthy breakfast for children and adults. Make it ahead of time, cut it into single serving pieces, wrap the individual pieces in foil or plastic wrap and freeze them. In the morning just defrost and reheat in the microwave. Simple and very tasty.
¾ cup of shredded Swiss cheese
¾ cup of shredded cheddar cheese
¼ cup of finely chopped onion
1 (10oz.) package of frozen chopped spinach, squeezed dry
1 cup of half & half or milk
1 Tbsp flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 prepared 9 inch pie crust
Preheat oven to 375ºF. Sprinkle spinach and onion in prepared pie crust. Toss cheese with flour and sprinkle in the pie crust. In a large bowl gently whisk together eggs, half & half (or milk), salt and pepper. Pour this mixture over all of the other ingredients in the pie crust. Bake 50-60 minutes, or until knife inserted in middle comes out clean. Let stand 10 to 12 minutes before serving. If you are cutting it into single servings and freezing it, let the quiche cool completely.
Cheryl Tallman is the co-founder of Fresh Baby, creators of the award-winning So Easy Baby Food Kit, and author of the So Easy Baby Food Basics: Homemade Baby Food in Less Than 30 Minutes Per Week and So Easy Toddler Food: Survival Tips and Simple Recipes for the Toddler Years. Visit Cheryl online at to sign up for her newsletter and her blog feed.