The theme for 2011 is "Together for a better world for all: Including persons with disabilities in development."
"Persons with disabilities encounter many disadvantages in their societies and are often subjected to stigma and discrimination. They remain largely marginalized, disproportionately poorer, frequently unemployed and have higher rates of mortality. Furthermore, they are largely excluded from civil and political processes and are overwhelmingly voiceless in matters that affect them and their society."
You can read the Presidential Proclamation . "...we recommit to ensuring people living with disabilities enjoy full equality and unhindered participation in all facets of our national life."
This is what I have to say
- It is time to pass the ABLE Act
- It is time to allow people w/disabilities to have regular educational savings account without the need of a special needs lawyer setting up a special needs trust
-It is time to allow people w/disabilities to have more than $2K in assets in their name without losing benefits they still need to remain as independent as possible
- It is time inclusion happens in every school
- It is time the unemployment rate isn't so high for people w/disabilities
- It is time people w/disabilities aren't treated like less-than human beings
- It is time people w/disabilities are treated with respect
- It is time people w/disabilities are recognized for their value, worth, and contributions to society