Heard the stories of sufferers of Sore nipples from breast feeding?
Posted Aug 23 2008 10:21pm
The pain of cracked and bleeding nipples is truly horrendous and if you’ve experienced it then you’ll know exactly how excruciating it can be. If you plan to breast feed there are a few things you can do to try to avoid sore nipples. Prevention is better than cure!
· Give your breasts plenty of exposure to fresh air, this will keep them healthy.
· Ensure your breasts are fully dry after showering, gently pat dry and rub in some oil to keep them supple.
· Don’t wash them with soap as this will dry out your skin and remove the skin’s natural oils which can help prevent cracking.
· When you start breast feeding allow a small amount of the milk to dry on the nipple as this will keep them supple.
Technique is also important when breast feeding.
· Make sure your baby has the entire nipple in the mouth and not just the teat. Your mid-wife can watch you give a feed if you are unsure.
· Try different positions, your mid wife can show you the various ways in which you can try feeding.
· Try feeding frequently so your baby is not so hungry that they are grabbing and pulling at them out of hunger.
Prevention is always better than cure but if you are suffering, try vitamin E and talk to your mid-wife who can give you professional advice and guidance.