Going to College? Apply for a Wendy’s High School Heisman Scholarship! (Giveaway)
Posted Sep 14 2009 10:05pm
My oldest son started college last year, so his senior year of high school was spent filling out applications for scholarships. As tuition costs rise and jobs become scarce, students can use more help than ever in raising money to go to college. My second oldest son is a high school junior this year, so he’ll soon be following in his brother’s footsteps -- filling out scholarship applications!
My son gets good grades, is on the swim team and does plenty of community service, so I’ll be encouraging him to apply for the Wendy’s High School Heisman program. This award recognizes the well-rounded student, i.e., those who excel in academics, athletics, and community involvement. As you’ve probably heard, being a great student doesn’t always make you stand out when it comes to college applications. Students who are also involved in service and sports may have a greater advantage.
In order to qualify for the Wendy’s High School Heisman program, high school seniors must have a 3.0 GPA average or higher, participate in a school-sponsored sport, and contribute to their community. Students can apply at www.WendysHeisman.com, or a high school educator, guidance counselor, or coach can nominate them. As a little reward, the first 41,100 applicants will receive a free Wendy’s gift card in amounts ranging from $5 to $50.
One male and one female from each high school will win the award and continue on in competition for state and national awards. Twelve national finalists will participate in Heisman Weekend festivities during an all-expenses-paid trip Dec. 11-13 to New York City. ESPN2 will feature all 12 national finalists during the Wendy’s High School Heisman Awards Ceremony, which airs Dec. 13. The Wendy’s High School Heisman website will display the names of all applicants and individual school winners on October 22, 2009.
If there’s a high school senior in your family, please encourage him or her to apply for the Wendy’s High School Heisman scholarship. And if you’re a high school teacher, administrator or coach, please go to the website to nominate your most deserving students. Hurry! Applications must be submitted by 5:00pm Central Time, Thursday, October 1st. Don’t lose out on this great opportunity to earn some well-needed money for a worthy future college student.
And I have another great opportunity -- to earn some great Wendy’s food! To celebrate the launch of this exciting program, Wendy’s has authorized me to offer a $20 Wendy’s gift card to one of my readers. To enter, just leave a comment here with your favorite item on the Wendy’s menu!
- Following me on Twitter ( @ParentingAuthor ) and tweeting about this giveaway. Leave a comment with the URL of your tweet. You may tweet once a day. Please leave a separate comment for each tweet.
- Putting a button for Susan Heim on Parenting on your blog. (The code is in the upper right-hand column of this site.) Post a comment with your blog’s URL.
- Posting this giveaway on your blog with a link to this page. Leave a comment with a direct link to the post.
- Listing Susan Heim on Parenting as one of your Favorites on Technorati. (See “Add this Blog to My Technorati Favorites” banner on the left sidebar.) Leave a comment with your Technorati user name.
- Subscribing to Susan Heim on Parenting via email, RSS, as a Follower on Blogger, or on your Kindle (see sign-up options on sidebars). Leave a comment for each subscription method.
- Entering the GE Appliance giveaway. Click on the picture of the stove near the top of the left sidebar. Leave a comment on this contest page each time you enter. You can enter daily!
One winner will be randomly selected from the qualified comments received by Wednesday, September 30, 2009, at midnight ET. Please leave an email address on one of your comments if it’s not available on your Blogger profile. Winners must respond within 72 hours or another winner will be drawn.
DISCLOSURE: I wrote this review while participating in a blog tour campaign by Mom Central on behalf of Wendy’s and received a gift certificate to give away and to thank me for taking the time to participate.