Generation Cures: Kids Helping Kids + Zebrafish Book Giveaway
Posted Jul 22 2010 6:52pm
At my son’s high school, they are required to do community service as a requirement for graduation. I think this is such an excellent idea. It’s so important for kids to develop empathy for others and to realize that they really are capable of changing the world through their actions. Many students volunteer at hospitals or libraries. My son captained a team that participated in the Relay for Life to fight cancer. I wish that all children could experience the satisfaction of helping others.
Another organization that is helping kids to engage in charitable endeavors is Children’s Hospital Boston. They have an amazing program called Generation Cures , which is designed to show kids how they can really make a difference in the lives of others. Their youth-led, parent-enabled online community uses original animation, games and kid-produced videos to inspire kids to help other kids. The money raised supports Children’s Hospital Boston’s world-changing research to find cures for debilitating childhood diseases.
Please join this exciting initiative by visiting the links below with your kids.
The great people at Children’s Hospital Boston are also generously offering a copy of the graphic novel, Zebrafish , to two readers of this blog! This fun book tells the story of friends who form a garage band. Their first concert is a fundraiser for the hospital where their bandmate is receiving leukemia treatment. Tweens and teens will love Zebrafish, which has been endorsed by the Junior Library Guild and the American Library Association for kids in middle grades. To enter this contest, visit GenerationCures.org and leave a comment on this post about something you learned on the site. You must do this to enter the giveaway.
You can earn optional, additional entries by - Following Susan Heim on Parenting ( @ParentingAuthor ) and Generation Cures ( @GenerationCures ) on Twitter and tweeting about this giveaway. You may tweet this giveaway twice a day. (Please space them at least an hour apart.) Leave a separate comment with the URL of each tweet. (It’s easy to tweet this giveaway by using the buttons at the bottom of this post. 1 entry per tweet.)
- Subscribing to Susan Heim on Parenting via email, RSS and/or Kindle (see sign-up options on left sidebar). Leave a comment for each subscription method. (1 entry for each subscription method for up to 3 entries)
- NEW! Liking Susan Heim on Parenting on Facebook . (1 entry)
- Liking Generations Cures on Facebook . I’m sure they’d love a nice comment on their wall! (1 entry)
- Following Susan Heim on Parenting through Google Friend Connect. Click on the “Follow” button on the left sidebar. Leave a comment. (1 entry)
- Putting a button for Susan Heim on Parenting on your blog (the code is in the upper right-hand column of this site) and/or a text link on your blog roll. Post a comment with your blog’s URL. (1 entry for button; 1 entry for text link)
- Posting this giveaway on your blog with a link to this page. Leave a comment with a direct link to the post. (3 entries; leave a separate comment for each)
Two winners will be randomly selected from the qualified comments received by Friday, August 6, 2010, at midnight ET. Please leave an email address on one of your comments if it’s not available on your Blogger profile. Winners must respond within 72 hours or another winner will be drawn. Contest is open only to US residents.
DISCLOSURE: I received two copies of Zebrafish for use in this giveaway. No compensation was provided.