Family Video Makeover Day 3: Assigning Family Roles
Posted Sep 13 2009 10:04pm
In this series, 25 Day Family Makeunder, Vanessa Van Petten and Radical Teen writers put together 25 days worth of challenges and activities to help your family re-start, re-energize and re-connect. We have decided that we are going to post a few activities from each day so that you can participate in some of the great challenges that the teens came up with if you cannot afford the full package.
What is a Family Makeover?
25 segments that can be split up into 25 days, weeks or months. They are loaded with questions, activities and challenges for each family member. Each segment, families will get a set of challenges, materials and action steps to do for about 10-30 minutes per segment. Families can also break the 25 installments down into 25 weeks, every other day or whatever works for you, so you can move at the pace your family needs.
[With Full Package you get Video Prompts and Guided Discussion]
1) Project Leader: Project leader has many advantages, they get to settle compromises and can be in charge of arranging when to have family meetings. They also get to start and close meeting times. Here is the list of what Project Manager has to do:
-Call members to family meetings -Set-up the agenda and run the meeting
2) Note Taker: Takes notes at meetings, even the young can do this with a little help from a supporter or Project Leader!
3) Reminder: This person between segments helps people remember their goals. Every few days they can check in with people and make sure they have completed their weekly goals in a nice way.
4) Cheerer: This is a fun job, you are to give constant Kudos and make sure everyone is feeling ok and supported. They should have a kudos for everyone at family meetings not just one person. They can also think of rewards that week.
5) Tough Guy/Girl: This is the person who needs to ask the tough questions if you feel someone is not doing their best or needs to work harder. They can also settle compromises during Complaints and Grievances.
Check out the full 25 Day Makeover here. Get access to our support network, 30 videos, free handouts, our ebook and interactive family meeting network to reset your family.
[With Full Package you get an overview of roles and an in depth review of the reminder system] Reminder System Ideas: -Wall Calendar -Email Alerts -Phone tree -Text tree -Post-it notes
Before Segment 4 Assignments:
-Do your first meeting and segment with everyone in their roles.
-Add tasks you feel are needed for each person (who reminds people of the segment tasks, gets the talking stick, etc)
-Figure out your reminder system!
-Journal Prompt: “Which role is your favorite, which is your least favorite, why?”
[With Full Package you get a free journal with prompts for each family member.]