Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:
Go
Search posts:

5 Things This Husband Wants For Valentines Day

Posted Jan 22 2009 4:03pm

I Love U from flickr

With Valentines Day a little over three weeks away, I’ve been thinking about what I, as a husband, want for Valentines Day. I know that sounds pretty selfish but with three women at home, two of them under the age of four, I tend to get a little selfish at times.

I will always settle for a nice steak dinner and a cold beer but a man can dream can’t he?

1.) A healthy home

Over the past few weeks our kids, and myself, have been battling the ever preset and oh-so terrible Memphis crud. What is the Memphis crud? It’s my term for the creeping, coughing, allergy, sinus, and sneezing, itching, snot producing sludge that affects anyone with the last name of Wainright who lives in Memphis. My old family doctor used to say; “You Wainright’s would be great if you didn’t have to breathe through your nose or mouth”. So true.

I’ve lived with it long enough and I can take some pretty potent decongestants to help knock it out of my system. It’s a whole different story for my kids. I hate it when they get congested and so snotty that it’s hard for them to breathe. They usually don’t have fevers but they aren’t sick enough to be put on antibiotics either. Maybe when the weather warms up a bit in April we’ll have a Kleenex free house.

2.) A Maid

My wife and I do the best we can with the time we have but damn our house is a mess! It’s easy to see why. My wife and I both work full time and our evenings literally fly by with no time for real cleaning. We usually don’t get home until around 6:00 pm and we both make our kids a priority. That means that the dishes and the dust have to take a back seat.

I’m not sure how we’ll be able to afford a maid these days with our daycare bill alone being as much as our mortgage. But, between having a healthier home and allowing my wife and I more family time during the week and weekend, it will be well worth the investment. Plus it will relieve a little of the stress that comes with trying to maintain the house, the kids, bills, dinners, snotty noses, etc. You get the point.

3.) One hour. With my wife. Alone.

I don’t have to or need to go into a lot of detail here. It’s pretty self explanatory really. Kids can do wonders for your sex life…and by wonders I mean they wreak havoc on your sex life. Since we both work and our little one is just 6 months old and hasn’t learned that sleep is important, our sex life just ain’t what it used to be.

It would be nice to make this a weekly event (hell, I’d settle for every two weeks) that allow my wife and I to rekindle the passion in our marriage. I think it’s just as important, if not more so, to take care of your spouse like you do your children. I’m pretty easy to take care of…at least I don’t wake up in the middle of the night crying or needing to go pee-pee.

4.) To Date My Wife Again

In truth, an hour a week with my wife isn’t enough to maintain and build our marriage. It’s important to me to show our kids that I make my wife a priority in life. I want my daughters to benchmark their future boyfriends against me to judge their love and commitment. If I don’t do that for my own wife I’ll be sending the wrong signal to my daughters.

For Valentines Day maybe we’ll go back to Paulette’s here in town since that’s the place we went the night we got engaged. That way I can get my steak dinner and be all romantic at the same time. Maybe I should make dating my wife one of my resolutions for the New Year.

5.) Some space of my own

I’ve determined that my wife and kids take up about 90% of the house and the other 10% belongs to our 2 cars in the garage. With no real space of my own, I long for my own little slice of the house. I just want a little place where I can go and feel like a man and be around manly things. There’s too much yin in my house and not enough yang.

There’s too much purple and pink and not enough leather and things you might see on Uncrate around the house. Who am I kidding? I love my girls…all three of them and I wouldn’t change it for the world. It’s not like I’m asking for my own but it would be nice to have some part of the house that leans a little more to the masculine side rather than the feminine side.

As a husband, what do you want for Valentines day? Drop me a comment below to let me know

Image courtesy: ldcross on flickr

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]
Post a comment
Write a comment:

Related Searches