- it MUST contain tomato, cucumber, green pepper and onion;
- it MAY contain feta cheese and/or olives;
- it NEVER contains carrots, lettuce or cabbage;
- it's always dressed with olive oil and vinegar and/or salt (depending on whether it contains feta);
- the rural Cretan's variation may contain purslane and mizithra instead of feta cheese;
- bread is also a vital element to be served with the salad, to mop up all the dressing, so that nothing, not even any olive oil, remains on the plate.
Greek salad is the trademark dish of any Greek summer holiday. It's the easiest full meal to prepare quickly, the lightest meal you can eat in a hot summer, and a perfect evening meal after an afternoon spent at the beach.