Anyone having trouble falling asleep? If you are one of them, welcome to the club. Unlike my hubby who never had any trouble with sleep at all, I am a light sleeper and experience trouble from time to time. I choose not to take any sleeping pills or whatsoever, instead, I prefer to use natural sleep remedies to get me a good slumber. A lack of sleep can result in stress and less performance on the job or at home. Here are some natural remedies that can help you achieve better sleep.
1) Cut out caffeine. If you are sensitive to caffeine, avoid it after 6pm. Caffeine is found in not only coffee but certain teas, colas and even chocolates! The effects of caffeine last much longer than most people expect. This can lead to insomnia. Studies have shown people sleep better if no more caffeine is consumed after 6.00 PM. So cut out that extra cup of cuppa after dinner
2) Check your room temperature. A warm or overheated bedroom can be the cause of sleep problems. Scientific studies show that the body can better relax with temperatures at 70 degrees or slightly below.
3) Keep your bed for sleeping only, not for work or even watching TV. I’m one person who don’t agree that the TV should be placed in the bedroom unless you live in a studio. In any case, you should avoid watching TV on the bed if you have sleeping problems. Sleep requires your brain to relax slowly and any interruption can cause sleeping problems.
4) Avoid having a full meal before bedtime. I know some people enjoy having suppers before bedtime. Indigestion can sometimes be the cause to insomnia. If you need to eat something before bedtime, try drinking a glass of warm milk.
5) Don’t change your bedtime back and forth. Sleep around the same time night. Having a certain schedule developed it will be easier to fall asleep pretty much at the same time every day. A recurring schedule will help your body to get into a sleep pattern and make it easier to fall asleep.
As you can see, many of these natural sleep remedies are easy to carry out though it does require a certain amount of discipline to it. You also need to identify the cause of your sleeping problems. If stress is causing it, then you should learn to wind down and find ways to relax. Take a short vacation, check yourself into Riviera hotel and put aside your work - rest your mind.
Other good natural remedies to promote good sleep include listening to a soothing piece of music, meditating and soaking in a relaxing bath before bedtime with a few drops of lavender oil of course. To learn more about other holistic treatment tips for insomnia, click on the link.