Found a classic meditation text, Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhante Henapola Gunaratana online for free. Shambhala publications re-released the book last year in a new, improved version, which you can find here, amongst other places.
1. meditation is just a relaxation
2. meditation means going into a trance
3. meditation is a mysterious practice which cannot be understood
4. The purpose of meditation is to become a psychic superman
5. meditation is dangerous and a prudent person should avoid it
6. meditation is for saints and holy men, not for regular people
7. meditation is running away from reality
8. meditation is a great way to get high
9. meditation is selfish
10. when you meditate, you sit around thinking lofty thoughts
11. A couple of weeks of meditation and all my problems will go away
If you’re curious how they are misconceptions you should read the book. It covers the important points quite clearly. Chapter 2. “What Mindfulness Isn’t.” As I said you can find it for free, as a PDF file here. But if you are really curious about this mindfulness stuff, this is a book I can recommend. Even if you put down the ten dollars it will be worth your while.