Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:

Extended menstruation

Posted by willie

I am 50 years old and have had my period for a whole month.  Is this normal?

Answers (1)
Sort by: Newest first | Oldest first
Actually, it CAN be normal.  Heavy and/or prolonged bleeding during perimenopause can be a normal variant.  I had my period every other week (and heavy flows) for a little over a year.  Because prolonged bleeding (called dysfunctional uterine bleeding) can be a symptom of more serious conditions, it is important to be checked out by a physician.  A pelvic ultrasound and/or endometrial biopsy can rule out pathology.  Even if no serious condition is found, you must be monitored for anemia.  Regular red blood cell and hemoglobin counts are recommended.  I simply increased my intake of red meat and took iron supplements and was never anemic.

Even in the absence of disease, if bleeding persists, your MD may recommend a “simple” D & C  (dilation and curettage) or even hysterectomy.  I’d get a second opinion or even a third.  Remember that NO surgical procedure is simple - each has risks, including that of general anesthesia.  A good rule of thumb is to always try the least interventional remedy first.

It took me three tries to find an enlightened gynecologist who felt that heavy bleeding was a normal variant.  After ultrasounds and an endometrial biopsy (performed in her office) returned as “normal with menopausal thickening of uterine lining), together we monitored me for anemia and eventually I began skipping periods as I continued on my menopause transition.  

Hope this helps - let me know if you have further questions. For more info - check out our blogsite at  Good luck.  Lynette Sheppard RN
NOTICE: The information provided on this site is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on Wellsphere. If you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.
Post an answer
Write a comment: