Spring is upon us and that means it’s time to brush up on your fashion sense. Being stylish isn’t about following a bunch of rules, but it does require a bit of knowledge. Now that you’re a grown-up, here are 10 things you should know to dress better:
1. Know your neck size. You should be able to fit one finger between your collar and your neck when your shirt is fully buttoned.
2. A tie’s stripes should always be bolder than a shirt’s.
3. It’s ok to not wear socks in summer, but only if you give your sweaty shoes a break every other day.
4. An invitation saying ‘black-tie optional’ implies you can choose between black tie and a suit, but it really means black tie.
5. Know the nuances of khaki pants – don’t roll up the cuffs to your calves like clamdiggers unless you are actually digging for clams.
6. Never put eyewear, your cell phone, an ink pen, or a bulging key chain in your pants pockets.
7. A wallet is for credit cards only – cash goes in a money clip in your front pocket.
8. Your eyeglasses should contrast, not mimic, the shape of your face.
9. The five terms your barber will understand are thinned out, layered, choppy, razored, and texturized.
10. It is acceptable to wear your jeans five to ten times between washings but fewer if they get visibly dirty or baggy at the knee.
Follow these simple tips and you’ll be looking better in no time.