If you are just getting into meditation, it is good to take a few steps to get your mind used to the idea that you're about to meditate. These 5 steps are suggestions you could use to mentally and physically prepare.
1. Always meditate in the same spot.
2. Meditate at the same time or time frame.
3. Burn a specific incense, exclusive to meditation.
4. Change into designated "meditation clothes".
5. Bow to your area before you begin, or a similar physical action.
I agree with pretty much everything you have said here! I think that setting up a sacred/ritual space is truly important--a place where you can retreat from the world and feel safe and nurtured. I think that over time, it really does become easier to meditate in a variety of places under other circumstances, but starting out in an almost womb-like, comforting atmosphere is the best way to ease into the practice, I have found.
Starting a meditation practice can be a daunting task...especially when we realize just how much chatter is constantly going on in our heads! Yet, there are
common obstacles that you can face and conquer easily by following
guided meditation videos and starting out meditating for shorter periods of time consistently.