It has been ten months since my surgery. I thought it was time for an update/recap. I was back in the dojo (limited - no kicks, sparring etc.) since month three and training again since month seven. After month six, I had no restrictions.
The hardest part of my ACL recovery:
1. Not being able to drive for 6 weeks after surgery (I had surgery on my right knee)
2. Limited wardrobe - I was in sweatpants and shorts until the post-operative brace came off
3. Using crutches
4. Navigating stairs
5. Attended my daughters First Communion on crutches and in a brace.
6. Limited summer activities 2007
7. The first straight leg - leg lift. This was practically impossible for me.
8. Sleeping with the post-operative brace - UGH
9. The time and patience required for recovery
10. NO Karate
Milestones of my ACL recovery:
1. The first straight leg - leg lift ( 3 days)
2. Removal of the post-operative brace ( 5 weeks)
3. Gaining back full ROM ( 12 weeks )
4. The functional brace fitting (14 weeks)
5. Walking up and down stairs "normally" (6 months)
6. Being able to stand up from a one leg kneeling position (8 months)