Well, there it is. My first attempt at dying a gi. Honestly, I didn't do that great a job. I was very hopeful, after having seen Georgette's awesome kimonos. But, still, despite some flaws, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I learned some things that lead me to believe that my next try will go a lot better.
As you can see in the picture above, the patches and the red thread didn't take the dye. Overall, it turned out really well. The only problem is some red bleeding from something. I think it was the red cord on the trousers, but it could also have been my club patches.
I purchased the materials from Dharma Trading online. I spent a total of ab out $39.00 plus about $10 to ship it. I received the shipment inless than a week. I still have 3 colors that I can use to dye more kimonos, as well as plenty of soda ash, detergent and fabric softener. Basically, the cost is a little over $10 per kimono.
After dying it, I washed it on super hot, "sanitary" wash and dried it completely in the dryer. As you can see, it shrunk. I'm comfortable wearing it, but it's a little small now, to be honest. This is going to vary from gi to gi, but the SYR is a little small for competition now. I am going to get a Gameness Pearl that I'm sure won't shrink like that, hopefully for my next try.
I think it's cool how the patches took the gray where they were white, but otherwise made it through the dying process intact.
There's where the red was the worst. I also didn't do a great job agitating the sleeves and ended up with some streaking. I'll be more aware of that next time.
The pants turned out great.
Overall, it was fun to do, and not all that hard. I am going to do something a little different next time around. I think the next one will be either "sage green" or "pewter". I also got Navy Blue, which I think will be really cool on the right gi.
There's also a process called "Batik" that I'm interested in.