Have you moved to a place and it's newer or remodeled? You have those outgassing smells. The new carpet...the new paint smells. Recently we needed to rent an apartment. It was in a great neighborhood and we "overlooked" the remodel but hated the smell and the thought of chemicals in the air.
When you are stuck in a position such as this, here are some natural ideas for "healthing it up"
1) Open the windows as much as possible ( a few minutes to a half an hour is better than nothing even in the cold/hot weather) Use fans for a cross breeze right through the home. Fan in one window pulling in the air, fan the other window sucking the air out.
2) If you can afford it buy an air purifier run it a lot and make sure you change/clean the filter often. If you don't have one of these your body/organs become the "filter".
3) Real beeswax candles. Light them, then and make sure they are always attended when lit.
4) Plates/bowls of onions/lemons/vanilla/coffee/baking soda/ water all absorb the smells and leave their scents in their place.
5) Use natural cleaning products. Baking soda, vinegar, essential oils. There are many recipes on the internet for any type of cleaner.
6) Sprinkle rugs with baking soda and let sit 1 hour and vacuum.
7) Make something delicious in your dehydrator (if you have one- or use your oven).
Cooking anything delicious will make the home smell better.
Use real ingredients for cooking and cleaning.
8) Essential oils... I love lavender oil, mix a few drops with water in a spray bottle and spray away.
9) Himalayan Salt lamp.
10) Have as many plants as possible, research the best air purifying plants. Spider plants and philodendron, are two great air purifiers.