Youngsters have to bud strongly, as they are the future and lay strong path for nation. They are so keen to fulfill their vivacious aspirations and dreams that not even cancer can halt their trip destined to achieve their goals. Yes, Leukemia is a cancer that might target the youngsters but good understanding of it can help in overcoming.
What is Leukemia?
Leukemia is cancer of the blood cells. It begins in the bone marrow, which is a soft tissue inside most bones. Blood cells originate in bone marrow.
In healthy person, bone marrow generates:
• White blood cells -Help combating body infection. • Red blood cells- Carry oxygen to all parts of the body. • Platelets- Help blood clot.
However, person with leukemia make bone marrow to produce several abnormal white blood cells, called leukemia cells. They do not work as that of normal white blood cells and also bud at faster rate than normal cells. Even breakage in their budding does not occur, which is really mandatory. Rapidly growing leukemia cells dominate the normal blood cells, which is an invitation to serious problems such as blood diseases, bleeding, and infections. Leukemia cells disseminate to the lymph nodes or other organs and lead to swelling or pain.
Types of leukemia
There are several different types of leukemia. In general, leukemia is classified on its nature of getting worse and what kind of white blood cell does it affects.
• Acute or chronic leukemia: This one spreads fast and person easily falls sick. • Lymphocytic or myelogenous. Both affect white blood cells.
Adults are known from suffering chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) and acute myelogenous leukemia. However, in children, leukemia is acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL). Childhood leukemias might also incorporate acute myelogenous leukemia (AML) and other myeloid leukemias, including chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML) and juvenile myelomonocytic leukemia (JMML).
Symptoms of Leukemia
As you are now aware about this cancer, you should also learn about common Leukemia symptoms:
• Fever and night sweats. • Headaches. • Bruising or bleeding • Pain in bone or joint • Swollen or ache in belly from an enlarged spleen. • Swollen lymph nodes in the armpit, neck, or groin. • Getting a lot of infections. • Fatigue or weakness. • Loss in weight and also appetite
Leukemia treatment is helpful in curing this disease. Following are some treatments for leukemia.
1. In chemotherapy powerful medicines are used to kill cancer cells.
2. Radiation therapy uses high-dose X-rays to ruin cancer cells and shrink swollen lymph nodes or an enlarged spleen.
3. Stem cell transplant helps in rebuilding supply of normal blood cells, as they are destroyed in radiation or chemotherapy.
4. Biological therapy makes use of special medicines that improve body's natural defenses against cancer.
Know more about what is leukemia and symptoms and treatment of leukemia on online health information guide: Peoples-health. Also know about various other blood diseases like Aplastic Anemia, Pernicious Anemia, Amyloidosis and more.