Wellsphere is an exciting new startup that’s harnessing the power of the community to
help people live healthier, happier lives. Our platform connects people to other people and
local resources to empower them to make healthier choices and improve their lives.
We are a group of active, bright, energetic, fun people committed to helping others
improve their lives. Our positive, creative, driven culture is very important to us,
so please apply only if this description fits you.
Director of Community Development
Wellsphere, the fastest-growing consumer health website with more than 4 million monthly visitors, is looking for a Director of Community Development to facilitate and grow Wellsphere's health-focused communities. After the merger with Health Central, Wellsphere is backed by some of the world's leading investors, including Sequoia Capital, the Carlyle Group and Interactive Corp (IAC). With a small, smart, nimble team, we provide an opportunity to experience the excitement, fast-paced growth, and innovative culture of a startup environment with the strength and resources of our parent company. We're looking for a driven individual who has a passion for helping people improve their health and well-being, and who also has extensive understanding of the workings of online communities and social media, and prior experience in participating in and facilitating online communities.
You will have primary responsibility for the management and growth of Wellsphere's communities. This job is highly dynamic, and tasks will vary day-to-day according to events and activities in the community. You will interact continuously with community members, recruit community leaders, and design and implement campaigns to attract new members to the communities.
- Manage Wellsphere's health and healthy living communities
- Substantially increase user engagement and interaction in all communities
- Identify, invite, and engage influential participants in each community
- Monitor and report on activities within communities
- Identify communities with limited interaction, design and implement programs/features/functionality for increasing content and engagement
- Create new communities, as appropriate
- Design and implement campaigns to attract new members
- Work with the Director of Blogger Network to coordinate addition of topic-focused health bloggers in communities
- Troubleshoot issues or complaints from community members
- Hire and manage moderators for communities
- Monitor and oversee all moderator interactions
- Generate rules and procedures for managing member posts
- Identify and interact with members who post inappropriate content or images
- Oversee the Health Maven Program
- Manage the network of 'Health Mavens' who volunteer to answer member questions
- Manage the screening and categorization of questions
- Drive an efficient review process of users questions and answers generated by Health Mavens
- Measure and report Health Maven performance
- Strengthen relationships with Health Mavens, send periodic messages to the maven network
- Solicit feedback and work to improve the Health Mavens' experience
- Solve problems, troubleshoot issues or complaints if they occur
- Expand, enhance, and manage the process for identifying highly qualified and talented community members and other experts to invite as Health Mavens
- Recruit additional highly qualified Health Mavens
- Passion for helping people improve their health and well-being
- Deep understanding of and experience with online communities, extensive experience with social media, and long time active presence in multiple social networks
- Experience creating and implementing social media campaigns
- Demonstrated abilities in marketing, promotion, and public relations
- Superb relationship-building and management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Prior experience managing and motivating team members
- Familiarity with and understanding of health topics is advantageous
- Professional training and experience in a health-related field is desirable — preference is given to applicants with professional health degrees such as MD or RN, or certification in an ancillary health profession
Our culture is driven by passion to helping others, is centered around users and driven by results. We enjoy a collaborative and fun work environment, the highest level of integrity, and the ambition to always be #1.
We are located in San Mateo, California (San Francisco Bay Area) and offer a competitive package of salary, bonuses, stock options, flexible time off, 401K and other generous benefits.