How to get good sleep at night - Top 10 Bedtime Habits and Natural Supplements
Posted Apr 27 2010 12:44am
Last night you couldn't fall asleep for hours. Maybe you woke up after a few hours and couldn't go back to sleep. You feel irritable during the day, anxious, impatient and sleep during the day. Sometimes you feel very tired while driving, or struggle to stay awake when sitting, watching TV or just lying down and resting. Maybe you find it hard to concentrate, need some coffee to stay awake and everyone tells you how tired you look. Maybe sometimes you don't want the night to come because you're afraid of tossing and turning again. You wish you knew how to get good sleep at night.
Why is it Critical to Sleep Well at Night?
Relaxed and deep sleep is as critical to your health just as good nutrition or exercise. The most important thing about a good night sleep is that your immune system is at its best during the dark hours of the night. If you aren't getting at least seven hours of sleep every night, you're actually compromising your health by not allowing your immune system to work optimally to "fix" what ever it is that's unbalanced or damaged in your body. If the problem becomes chronic, you are likely to develop anxiety issues and even depression, overweight, high blood pressure and much more.
How to get good sleep at night – Top 10 Bedtime Habits
1. Stick to a schedule – get out of bed the same time every morning, even on holidays and weekends.
2. Avoid exercising and stressful activities 2 hours before you go to bed.
3. Avoid caffeine drinks (coffee, tea, soft drinks) and alcohol.
4. Get the bedroom to be completely dark. No light what so ever. Also keep it quite (no distracting noise, use ear plugs if necessary) and cool. Also keep it well ventilated.
5. Avoid heavy, spicy, or sugary foods 4-6 hours before bedtime.
6. The bed room is meant for sleeping. Don't work in bed. Your body will then immediately associate the bedroom with sleeping.
7. Try relaxation methods. Deep breathing could be just what you need. Some meditation won't hurt also.
8. Leave your troubles for tomorrow. The bed is not the place to thing about your worries and your tasks for tomorrow.
9. If you still can't sleep, go to another room and read for a few minutes until you feel sleepy.
10. Warm milk or bananas before bed could help you fall asleep.
How to get good sleep at night – Natural Supplements
Many plants and herbs have sedative and relaxing properties (valerian root, chamomile) that will safely help you fall asleep and stay asleep. Nutritional supplements are especially effective for occasional sleeplessness. They are mostly safe, non addictive and effective very fast.
Melatonin is probably the most important ingredient to look for in your sleep supplement. It's ahormone that helps you to feel sleepy, close your eyes, and then slip easily into peaceful, deep sleep.
Other herbs in the supplement should be sedative and with anti-anxiety and stress properties. There are many supplements out there and it is important to know which one to choose and what would be the best solution for you.