Sometimes it does not hurt to hear the fundamentals repeated because we can be bogged down by advanced discussions on treatment, sophisticated lab testing or diagnostics.
Boiled down Track-Your-Plaque tips for success:
1. BMI -- achieve normal BMI. Advantages -- loss of toxic belly fat and increased metabolism. May take 3-6mos depending on degree of toxic belly fat.
2. Vitamin D3 -- obtain blood 25(OH)D to 60-70 ng/ml -- and Vitamin B3 Niacin (Slo-Niacin or NIASPAN) to raise HDLs. Clinical event reduction and plaque regression with these 2 powerful 'vitamins' cannot be overemphasized. The importance of raising HDL is reviewed here: TYP HDL Report . And we reviewed already here (at the end of the post).
3. Eliminate wheat, cornstarch and grains; Paleo diet RULES
4. Exercise/play/move -- increases metabolism, reduces inflammation, reduces mental stress, and prevents diastolic heart failure -- very common in people with NASH/NALFD and insulin resistance (like Metabolic Syndrome) and Type 2 Diabetes.
5. Do you exhibit elevated Lp(a) (or ultra low HDL)? If so, consider ultra high dose fish oil 8.5 g EPA+DHA daily (studies show only works when combined with moderate exercise/weight loss). Use high potency caps or liquid.
6. Strength training + Intermittent Fasting -- accelerates loss of toxic belly fat.
(However, if you have diabetic retinopathy, please avoid and discuss with your doctor. Extra cerebral pressures (like straining, Valsava, heavy weight lifting) can increase risk of retinal tears and subsequent vision changes/loss.)
7. For the first 1-2yrs of the TYP program, consider L-arginine. Benefits incl increasing NO in the vasculature which lower BP (goal
< 110/75), allows better perfusion, improves immunity, reverses ED, and improves circulation.
8. Mental stress -- this is often overlooked but may be the MOST IMPORTANT KEY. Control stress, you'll control plaque growth. Stress can overrule the immune system. Sleep deprivation is one of the hardest to control factors in modern society -- leads to high cortisol, toxic belly fat and sleep apnea. You need the healthiest immune system to combat inflammation, insulin, Lp(a) and other plaque growth factors (ie oxLDL, low HDL).
I believe the great majority of individuals meet TYP goals 60-60-60-60 in 2-3 mos with a few painless, simple changes as listed above. The HDL and Lp(a) may take 3-6mos if focus is placed on the each of the 8 steps above. They all work together simultaneously and synergistically to help you attain SUCCESS TO REGRESS.
Have you seen the most awesome summer thriller 'Wanted' yet (WSJ Joe Morgenstern's movie review 7/11/2008)? Do you need a trainer? As Wesley bluntly puts it at the end...after his 6 week-long life transformation toward purposeful, elite living... 'so wtf have you done lately...?'