Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:

Intermittent heart beat

Posted by HaroldTyson

I wake up with a very rapid hear beat between the hours of 1-3 a.m. and the beat of my heart is so rapid that it wakes me up out of a deep sleep.  It has gotten worse over the years.  I have had my heart tested and they can find nothing wrong with it, but I keep having this problem.  Is there an answer or medicine that I can take to stop the rapid heart beat. Harold
Answers (1)
Sort by: Newest first | Oldest first

Hi Harold!

This sounds like a very frustrating problem but one that is not that uncommon. In order to prescribe medicine that helps your heartbeat, the doctor must first determine why it is beating fast, and what type of fast heartbeat it is.

It is an electric impulse that travels through your heart that makes your heart "beat". There can be many different causes of fast heartbeat, but most of them are not harmful.

You mentioned you have had tests...which ones.  Did you ever have a "Holtor Monitor"? This is recording device that is worn for 24 hours and records your heart activity.  The doctor can then look at what is going on to see exactly what is happening at that time. Another form of the recording devices is an "event monitor".  This is the size of a credit card that you keep with you.  When you are having the unusual heart activity, you place it on your chest and push a button.  This records your EKG and stores it.  You then call a number on the phone and transmit the EKG through the phone to your doctor.

Since it is only happening at night, some things to consider:

--do you have caffeine up to 3 hours before going to sleep?

--do you have other symptoms when you wake up like shortness of breath or sweating? 

--have you ever been tested for sleep apnea?

I hope this helps. Please let me know what happens! 


NOTICE: The information provided on this site is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on Wellsphere. If you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.
Post an answer
Write a comment: