Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:
Search posts:

Work & Weekend & Wedding

Posted Jun 20 2011 5:46pm
Yes, I'm alive.

Like I said before, I've been super busy lately. Trying to balance my job, social life, exercise, and "me-time" is hard work! That being said, I think I've finally managed to sort out a routine that works for me. I generally set for my alarm for 6:45. Upon my wake-up call, I reluctantly rub my eyes...get up, get dressed, and pack up all my stuff (ID, workout clothes, etc). Then I make my way downstairs to the kitchen for some breakfast. I never skip breakfast. I really can't stress enough how important it is to eat something in the morning. Not only does it break the body's nightly fast and jumpstart your metabolism, but it allows for a more productive morning - since I don't know about you but I just can't work with a rumbling tummy. Insert delicious oat bowls...

Once breakfast has been consumed, I brush my teeth, throw together a lunch, and finish packing up my stuff. I'm usually out the door somewhere around 8:00. If I'm lucky, I'll get to the office at around 8:35. If I'm not so lucky, well, let's just not talk about it.

Here's a snapshot of my desk! This was before I really had time to decorate it, so my workspace is a bit bare. I promise it's a lot more exciting now. From the time I get to work my day is pretty standard (i.e. working, lunching, chatting with co-workers). If I'm not super busy, I end up finishing at around 5. Then, about 3 days a week I'll work out at the office gym before I leave. Other day's I'll just go straight home :). One thing that's really nice about the company I work at is that they offer free afternoon yoga classes twice a week! Even though I'm absolutely terrible at yoga I decided to take a stab at it the other day. It was a little challenging... but I think I liked it enough to go back again - It's a nice break from my usual cardio and strength work outs.

After a long first week I was definitely ready for a relaxing weekend. Sadly, that wasn't the case. This weekend was my cousin's wedding - so instead of sleeping in and spending some quality time with my good friend TIVO, my saturday morning consisted of a 5 hour car ride. Of course, oats were consumed on the go.

almond-banana oats with almond butter, bananas, blueberries, strawberries, and coconut flakes

After what seemed like a decade, we finally arrived at my aunt and uncle's house, where we were greeted by a fabulous lunch spread. I filled my plate up with a little bit of everything..
cinnamon raisin bagel with cream cheese, tuna salad, egg salad, and fresh fruit
The rest of the day was spent hanging around with the family. Even though I was a bit tired, it was really nice to see my relatives. I hadn't seen some of them in a year or two! It's crazy to see how fast everyone grows up - I still can't believe some of my cousins are getting married already. I swear it seems like yesterday that everyone was in middle school/high school. At some point in the day I ended up crashing and took a much needed two hour nap - I'm telling you I was T-I-R-E-D. That's ok though, I needed to rest up for the night's coming events! In the late afternoon we got all dolled up and were off!
I chose not to bring my camera to the actual wedding because I wanted to enjoy the night instead of worrying about photographing it. (And hey, that's what wedding photographers are for right?) But I can assure you it was a blast - not to mention the food was spectacular. The menu started off with a salad tossed in balsamic vinaigrette topped with a mushroom stuffed puffed pastry which was then followed by a dinner spread of every meat imaginable (we're talking fresh turkey, pastrami, salmon, chicken marsala, sesame chicken, filet mignon ... all in a buffet) and then finished with a dessert buffet consisting of a freshly baked belgian waffle bar and 7 different cakes. I definitely went to bed feeling more than stuffed. But that's OK - sometimes it's plain worth it to stuff yourself with delicious food. And it was great fuel for all the dancing I was doing...

The next morning my family and I enjoyed a quick Father's Day brunch at a French eatery and were back on the road home. It was definitely a jam-packed weekend, but after a good night's sleep on Sunday I was feeling energized and ready for work this morning! I'm going to attempt to photograph some more eats this week and keep you guys updated - now that I'm sort of on a schedule I think I've got this whole thing down.
What did you do this weekend?
Post a comment
Write a comment:

Related Searches