Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:
Search posts:

WIAW- Busy and Admittedly Confused

Posted Feb 13 2013 10:17pm

Good Evening! (Admittedly is apparently one of those words I am never going to spell right. Embarrassing.)

I know I start out most posts the same way these days but yeah, going to have to go and do it again… And it’s interesting, the more I have to do that is related to school, work, etc, the more I actually do want to blog! That old, classic statement of “absence makes the heart grow stronger,” well ain’t it the truth!

This past weekend I was planning on filling in a survey to post, or revamping/updating the blog, adding some recipes and such, but then we had that whole NEMO situation occur and yeah… most of my Saturday was committed to shoveling. I will say though, MA and I make a pretty fabulous team- we shoveled out both of our cars (which of course includes the driveaway), the paths to the house, and helped our neighbors out, all in the span of 4ish hours. Not too shabby if you ask me. You have probably already seen 20384 or so pictures from the storm, but how about a few more eh?

563039_4615758272115_391358920_n Before this, imagine two rather large piles of snow.


This particularly high plowed pile is right near my house! This particularly high plowed pile is right near my house!

I was surprised the next day to not be as soar as I anticipated and because we both felt alright, mom and I decided to venture out for a walk around town. The entire mess the storm made was pretty much unbelievable, although the whole mood of the town was upbeat despite the circumstances! Pretty much everyone we passed was shoveling out various areas of their property but people were embracing what they had to do, were cheery and said hello when we walked by, neighbors were helping each other… it was just nice to see!

It was the next day though… that is when the feeling of DEATH set it. The 4 hours of shoveling combined with the slippery, slow hour long walk on Sunday left me beyond sore on Monday. My back, forearms (really my whole upper body) was in shambles, along with the side of my calves surprisingly! That must have been from the unstable walk the day before. Well anyway, it is now Wednesday and it’s safe to say I am no longer sore. Only took 3 full days to recover, sheeshe! Oh and for the record, I did not workout those last three days (more thoughts on this later this week :) )

Speaking of Wednesday… I have enough time tonight to write a quick What I Ate Wednesday post! Thanks and appreciations go over to Jenn blogging at Peas and Crayons :)


I know there are a whole lot of people out there that are WAY busier than I am and have been for quite some time, but honestly, I am just not used to a work load like this! Throughout college, I had classes to attend, exams to take, projects/papers to complete, yadda yadda, but I had time for these things, even if I bitched continuously that I didn’t. Now though, well I had better plan my day out if I want to get the things done I NEED to while also remaining sane/respecting my own needs.

Here is my schedule from today, food/snacks included! I will say that it has been one heck of a snacking day because of little time or desire really, to sit down to a meal of any sort. When I am stressed out, stretched for time, anxious, a bit nuts and all of that good stuff, the last thing I want to do is further stir-up my mind with planning meal times and when to eat. It’s better for me to get done what is required and have food along the way… a much more normal attitude if you ask me.

6:45- alarm goes off while I simultaneously die inside (I KNOW this is not early in the slightest to many of you, but it hurts me). Get dressed, have coffee (yes before breakfast, some days I wake up so not hungry), read blogs/not think about anything serious, throw on some mascara to look semi-presentable, gather the various crap I need for the day and head out to school by 7:45.

Illustration+of+a+hot+cup+of+coffee Whoops, forgot to take a picture of my cup o joe.

7:45-8:30- get overly irate/serious road rage while battling the morning commute.. one that should only take me about 20 minutes but stretches to 45 at times, this morning being one of them! WHY OH WHY can people not drive when there is any sort of snow on the ground? I am not talking about streets here, but snow on the sides of the road which leads people to not break into to lanes when there is certainly enough room…. Why can’t more people drive me like me?! ;)

8:30-8:45- arrive at school, enjoy 10 minutes to myself while I eat this gross looking, but I promise you, tasty breakfast! Essentially it’s an egg sandwich except well… not.

photo(10) Again, nasty looking. This deconstructed form is for convenience sake… or perhaps because it occurred to me this morning that I had never put together a breakfast to bring to school. Enter 2 hard-boiled eggs already in the fridge, with two pieces of wheat bread spread with (real) life butter and some blueberry jam… extra salt on that please. Eaten with a fork, it works.

(**Note to self though, don’t wait 2 hours after waking up to eat something, I wolfed this down as soon as I could… either bring something along the way to eat and then have regular breakfast or wake my butt up earlier).

8:45-11:45- Class forever, or just three hours… but today felt forever. During the class at 10:30ish this particular bar was quietly consumed (wrapper photographed after) which was a good choice as Lara Bars are not crunchy at all. For the record, I usually truly dislike Laras, but the Banana Bread? A much different story, it legitimately tastes like a hunk of homemade baked banana bread, and trust me, I do not usually say such things about bars like this.


11:45-12:30- Study, study study time! I had an exam earlier today and I felt compelled to utilize any extra time I had for some last minute studying. Had to stop after only 45 minutes because…

12:30- 2:30- Nursing Skills Lab. Something I normally dread as I tend to fall apart under pressure (<–clearly something to work in a field like this), but today was interesting as it was a simulation lab day! “Smart dummies” meaning they breathe, cough, sneeze, talk, etc, are controlled by a machine and act as patients, are used for us as the nurses to evaluate and practice various skills on. The scenario changes each time, as the instructor is able to manipulate the patient’s “vital signs” and leave us to figure out what is wrong/what needs to be done most promptly. Stressful for sure, but makes me learn fast!

This almond/cereal mix was awkwardly eaten out of one of the pockets of my backpack during the lab when I was not personally participating. Yet again another situation where I should have eaten an actual lunch before the lab (and I was hungry at the time), but ehhh was not in the mood to break from studying and “deal with” eating a big meal while stressed. Am I making any sense? This is questionable.


2:30-2:45…. GET OUT OF MY WAY HUNGRY, briskly walked/jogged to my car, heat on, current audio book playing, and dove face first into my packed salad. Finally some different colors other than yellow/brown!


This was a good one- spinach, mixed greens, romaine, carrots, mushrooms, tomatoes, cucumbers (veggies a-plenty), slivered almonds, grilled shrimp from the night before and crumbled goat cheese. Yes yes fish and cheese= blargh together… but if you ask me, anything can be paired with goat cheese… the obsession continues! My dressing was a honey mustard/ketchup mix- ketchup will never ever leave my side, errr salad ;)


Fresh fruit (conveniently already cut up from the Stop & Shop salad bar for $3.99/pound, Weeee), enjoyed right before heading back into the school to finish up studying and tackle that gosh darn exam.

**Another note- even though I am conflicted with how I feel with actual meals/taking the time to eat them, this sort of circumstance really does work to calm me. I felt refreshed and satiated (about time) after eating and listening to my book in a toasty warm car, and it was time that was essential for my mind. Again, when I am already stressed out, I find my anxiety increases with thoughts about food, but that in turn stresses me out even more! A lose-lose situation, dur, but identifiable.

2:45-4:00- met up with some other ladies to study… well we complained/bitched about the exam and material for 20 minutes or so and THEN studied, it always seems to work that way :)

4:00-5:00(ish)- took my exam, did alright! There were actually 2 questions I got incorrect that I feel strongly I should argue against, something I never do as I am usually wrong heh? So my grade could theoretically be higher than what I received today and ANY extra points are helpful.

Rage time. Rage time.

5:15-6:00- time to tackle the evening commute without allowing my blood pressure to reach and be sustained at dangerous levels. Actually ended up doing alright with this as my day was coming to a conclusion! For the record, I live in an area near Boston that literally ALWAYS has traffic, well maybe 3 am is an exception and you would think I would get used to it. Nope, I’m pretty sure driving around here is cutting my life expectancy back several years.

6:00- Arrive at the hospital I do my clinicals at, because we must pick up our assigned patients the night before to have time to learn about them, their conditions and what we plan to do tomorrow for their care. Before going in though, more food time… it had been 3 hours after all (about right for me).

photo(13) New Chobani bites! I stumbled upon these at Target the other day and this was the one flavor I was most intrigued to try… a winner for sure! The only problem is, they are much smaller than the regular cups and uhhh I ate this in about 2.5 spoonfuls. The chocolate flavor was there though and paired nicely with the sweet yogurt. I just needed about 3 more of these to satisfy… (BTW I basically keep a cooler with me in the car, hence the ability to keep dairy cold all day! Umm yeah, I pretty much live in and out of my car now)

6:10-6:45- found the information for my assigned patient, recorded what I needed to and got the heckkk outta there… well only to return in about 12 hours!

6:45-7:00- Drive to the gym, woot a whole lot less traffic and a whole lot less crazy/nutcase Tessa!

7:00-8:00- Gym time… cardio today which involved a quick 20-minute interval workout ala BBB on a spin bike, with a 5 minute warm up and cool down. After, I walked on various inclines for a half hour while reading a book, one simply for pleasure! Current book is The Passage , one I mentioned a bit ago and let me tell you, one of those you-cannot-put-down, alas I must :(

8:00-8:20- grocery store for some (what I consider to be) essentials:


8:20 pm- Arrive home, say hello to Caleb the Cat (meow), put away my stuff, change into pajamas as fast as I can, and consider what to have for dinner for about 1.4 seconds and remembered leftover soup I had from a few nights ago…


A broccoli and white bean soup using a recipe from Whole Living Magazine:



  1. Steam broccoli florets and stems until tender and bright green, about 3 minutes. Let cool slightly. Reserve 1/2 cup florets for garnish.
  2. Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic until translucent, about 6 minutes. Add beans and stock and bring mixture to a simmer. Remove from heat and add broccoli; puree in batches in a blender until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish each bowl with broccoli florets, toasted pine nuts, and shaved Parmesan.

Very delicious soup, although when it’s cold… not so much! If you make this, it is much more enjoyable warm. Noting that, I had to wait a whole 3 minutes while it warmed in the microwave. ;) After I ate all of the almonds on top, more crunch factor was needed in the form of pretzels (unpictured, sorrayy)

By the end of dinner it was 8:45, I started to write my WIAW that was only supposed to take a half hour (HA) and we are going on 65 minutes so far. I have a paper to finish that is due tomorrow and research to complete before clinical at 7 tomorrow morning… and yet here I am still working on this! How silly of me, but let me tell you, I need to take a break from my day. Blogging seems to be doing the trick at the moment because again, that whole absence thing is doing wonders for my interest here!

Going on 10 pm, snack time!


Apparently today= dairy forever. Plain yogurt mixed with cinnamon, a bit of splenda, ground flax seeds, blackberries.

Last minute rambles… I have been non-stop and while that did take my mind off food, it also made me focus on it simultaneously. This doesn’t make much sense, not even sure what I am trying to describe and it’s something I have talked about before. I mean I am busy (have I mentioned this? ;) ) and while food is not the starring role, it’s still very much on my mind, but in a different way… I understand meals make me more nervous when I am already feeling such an emotion, and that leads to increased nerves/anxiety/stress/you know the rest.

I’m not sure where I am going with this right now. However what I DO know is… I need to get my patooty off of this computer and do the stuff I need to if I want to get to sleep before midnight. This is a necessity. I’m failry positive I will have more follow up thoughts on all of this, or whatever the heck I am trying to say, so yeah, please stay tuned as always!

-Do you have any rambles/rants/tangents you feel like sharing here? Can be related to just about anything you please. I was in this blog, it was fun to write how I wanted to and was truly feeling today! <– Sometimes I feel the “need” to write perfectly (whatever that means), which is crap.

-When you are busy busy busy, what sort of role does food play? Repeating myself here, you would think I would dwell on food less often when I have little time to, but what I am realizing is that I simply focus on it differently… that being what I am trying to figure out. Because still not feeling great about it.

-Would you admit to having road rage, at least to some degree? Yes… doh. Not pleasant and not necessary either! I have to get used to the traffic, never leave my house or move away.

-What would you consider your current “essentials” to be? Cottage cheese always and forever, almonds (I like to change the flavor up though), peanut butter, the chocolate Cheerios and Lindt were welcomed extras. Ooo yes, I forgot I bought the lindt… eating it, NOW.

-What is the best thing you ate in the past week or recently? Oh and how did people fair in the storm? <– You have probably answered that question 4000 or so times by now

Phew made it before Wednesday ended! Busting out what I need to and then BED… goodnight m’dears! :)

Post a comment
Write a comment:

Related Searches