Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:
Search posts:

Toto, I have a feeling we’re not in Kansas anymore

Posted Jul 13 2010 8:27pm

Happy Tuesday! I just looked down at my calendar and realized that it’s already July 13th. Where has July gone?!

I realize that I usually post on Sundays, but I was in an airplane flying over the country for most of the day on Sunday so I didn’t have a chance to write. The weekend was so much fun, so I thought I’d do a little recap.

On Friday afternoon, I took off from graduate school in a SuperShuttle headed straight for LAX. Destination? Wichita, Kansas for the wedding of one of our best family friends! I flew in from Los Angeles, my parents came from San Francisco, and my brother made the trek from Philadelphia. We all met in Wichita on Friday night for the exciting occasion. It was so wonderful to see my whole family again! The last time we were all together was in March , and it was so great to be back together. My family is very close-knit, and it’s hard for us to be living so far apart. When a celebration calls, though, we answer!

The whole family in January 2010

I arrived late on Friday night and was pretty beat from the long day of travel (Los Angeles to Denver, Denver to Wichita), so we just had a little hotel party and then went to sleep. On Saturday morning, my whole family woke up late (9:30!) and enjoyed a lovely hotel breakfast together. I didn’t have my phone to take a picture, but eats included: gluten-free cereal with milk and fruit, and an egg-white scramble with peppers, mushrooms, and onions. It was the perfect way to start out the day!

After breakfast, my mom, brother, and I ventured out into downtown Wichita for a run. We didn’t realize just how warm it was outside until we were about a mile away from our hotel. Suffice it to say that it was not our best run! The temperature was in the 90s and the humidity was almost unbearable. We still managed to do about 5 miles and had a blast running together, but we were all in need of some cold beverages when we finished!

After the run, we had a quick lunch at a bistro in Wichita and then hurried back to the hotel to get ready for the wedding. I usually don’t stress about my clothes, but I spent a good long time putting together this outfit for the wedding–it was a special occasion! We had a mini photo shoot in the hotel before we left and in the car on the way over to the ceremony.

The whole ensemble (very patriotic!)

Goofing around

The ceremony was at a beautiful arboretum just outside Wichita. Driving through the Wichita countryside was actually quite beautiful. We noticed this on our run, too, but Kansas is, unsurprisingly, quite flat. But it is much more lush than I was expecting. We arrived at the arboretum and took advantage of the gorgeous Monet bridge to snap a few more photos before the ceremony.

My brother looking like a model!

All together now!

The ceremony itself was absolutely beautiful, and I definitely shed a few tears. We were all so happy for the wonderful couple! After the ceremony, we zipped back to downtown Wichita for our favorite part–the party! I wish I had taken some photos from the night, but I was too busy dancing my tail off with my friends and family to stop. All in all, it was a fantastic, fun day filled with lots of love and laughter (and alliteration!).

On Sunday, I woke up pretty early and got in a quick workout at the hotel fitness center (2 miles at 8:30). I was pretty tired from the weekend, but I knew I would be traveling and I wanted to stretch my legs before the day ahead. After a late breakfast, we packed up and headed to the bride’s sister’s house for the highly anticipated World Cup finals! This past month of World Cup has been a dream come true for me. Even though I’m not playing soccer at the moment, I remain a loyal spectator and fan, and I have so much enjoyed watching games daily for the past month. Sunday was no exception. It wasn’t the prettiest of games, but I was filled with Spanish pride when they emerged victorious! (I studied abroad in Spain in 2007 and still feel some Spanish loyalty!)

Spanish player Iniesta after scoring the winning goal!


We actually caught the end of the game at the airport and boarded our flights almost immediately after the final whistle. My brother and parents were headed back to San Francisco and I was on my way back to Los Angeles, but we all caught the same plane to Denver together. There, we said our final goodbyes and split up for the last leg of our trips. I had so much fun with my family all together and I was sad that the weekend had to come to a close. It definitely makes me look forward to more fun family events in the future!

I arrived back in Los Angeles on Sunday night tired and hungry but ready for the weeks to come. As of today, I have nine days left in my graduate program, and I intend to enjoy the rest of my experience! I took the day off of exercise yesterday to catch up on some work, but I picked back up today with a great 6-mile run. Again, it was much hotter than I expected in LA and I was parched by mile 5, but I pushed on and finished strong. My stats for today’s run:

I have so much to look forward to in the next few weeks! I know it will be a crazy time for me, but I’m taking a few moments to collect my thoughts and prepare mentally. A few things that I’m excited about…

–hanging out with my roommate and friends this weekend in Los Angeles
–going on some more LA city runs
–finishing up my graduate program
–seeing J and my parents at my graduation next week
–going home to San Francisco
–starting my new job in less than two weeks
–training for my triathlon
–starting half marathon training

I hope you all have a wonderful, healthy, happy week!

What are you looking forward to in the coming days, week, months?

Post a comment
Write a comment:

Related Searches