Today I discuss how to increase conversation between you and your child about food and food consumption by using some great food tv shows as conversation starters.
So what shows do I recommend? I tell you my top five food tv shows in the video below.
Your child always receives the most benefit from viewing a television show when an adult is present to encourage conversation and answer questions when they arise. This process is called “Co-viewing” and it is recommended whenever your child watches television.
Here are some suggested starter questions to ask your child and get them talking about food:
(1) What is happening in the show?
(2) How does it make the main character/person feel?
(3) How does it make you feel?
(4) What do you think the end will be like?
(5) Do they like what they are eating?
(6)Would you eat what they are eating?
(7) Do you agree with what you are seeing? Why/why not?
(8) What is the coolest thing you saw?
(9) What didn’t you like?
(10) How can you apply this to your day tomorrow?
Since my top 5 list consisted of shows that range in age for viewing audience (preschool to high school) the previous questions need to be altered depending on the understanding of the child. Also, encourage your child to ask you questions. This will help increase dialog as well as help you see where your child stands with understanding the content of the shows. Stay away from yes/no questions, those make furthering dialog much more difficult.