In my previous post I offered some healthy weight loss tips tailored for the summer shape up season. Below are five more:
1. Wake up earlier to work out: Take advantage of the sun’s earlier rising to get outside and walk, run, swim or ride your bike before you begin your day. If you’re a gym rat, aim to get there 30 minutes earlier than usual. Not only will you have more time to exercise, you’ll get a jump-start on your day.
2. Stay Hydrated: Make sure you stay hydrated this summer. Dehydration can result in a 30% reduction in your energy output and if you’re feeling drained, you may reach for food rather than water. Also, when you do feel hungry, have a glass of water before eating. Sometimes thirst is misinterpreted as hunger and if nothing else, drinking a glass of water will help curb your appetite before a meal.
3. But Watch the Liquid Calories: Staying hydrated does not mean drinking empty calories in the form of soda, milkshakes, beer, wine coolers or other high-calorie beverages. Eat your fruit whole rather than drinking fruit juice. Stick with water or ice tea – herbal ice tea makes a great refreshing beverage.
4. Snack Healthfully: Keep a cooler of healthy snacks in your car and/or office so you won’t be tempted by the chips, cookies and sodas that are bound to be at every pool party, beach barbecue or even office potluck you attend. Or, bring a fruit or veggie tray to the function you’re attending so you know you’ll have something healthful to munch on.
5. Make Entree Salads for Dinner: Entree salads offer a simple, slimming, but satisfying dinner. See below for one of my favorite recipes: