This weeks recipes…lemon raspberry tarts and slow cooked Moroccan leg of lamb
Posted Feb 15 2012 6:32am
I have started the week with some time in the kitchen after a few hectic weeks when I haven’t been able to experiment as much as I like to. With the weather in the UK resulting in lots of snow and minus temperatures I have been craving some warm, comfort food and both these recipes definitely hit the spot.
Lemon and raspberry tarts
This recipe is sugar, gluten and wheat free, and makes approximately two tarts of 10cm diameter.
1 cup almonds
1/4 cup almond meal
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup almond paste
1/2 cup almond meal
1/4 cup coconut flour, sifted
1/2 cup natural yogurt
1/2 lemon, rind and juice
1/4 tsp gluten free baking powder
1/2 tbsp stevia
2 tbsp water
1 cup frozen raspberries
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Place almonds in a food processor and blend until finely chopped. Add almond meal, coconut oil and almond paste and process until combined.
3. Place base ingredients in tart pans, and using fingers or a spoon evenly spread and push down to the edges.
4. In a bowl put sifted coconut flour, almond flour, stevia and baking powder. Add the yogurt, eggs, water, lemon juice and rind and mix to combine.
5. Place filling mixture on top of the base ingredients in the tart pans, and distribute evenly. Place raspberries on top of filling mixture in a circular pattern.
6. Bake tarts in oven for approximately 20-30 mins until filling mixture has risen slightly and is golden in colour. Allow to cool before serving.
Easy Moroccan Slow Cooked Lamb
500g leg of lamb
3 large potatoes
3 large carrots
2 large zucchini
4 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp moroccan spice rub
2 lamb stock cubes
2 cups of water
1 tbsp olive oil
1. Slice potatoes into 1cm circular slices and layer at the bottom of the slow cooker ceramic pot.
2. Cut the ends of the carrots and zucchini off. Do not peel. Cut carrots in half, then cut into half length ways. Layer carrots on top of potato. Cut zucchini’s in half, then into 3-4 slices length ways. Layer zucchini on top of carrots.
3. Peel onion and garlic clovers. Cut onion in half and then into wedges. Place onion and garlic cloves around the outside of the dish on top of vegetables.
4. Rub Moroccan spice mix onto the leg of lamb and in a frying pan with olive oil brown both sides of the lamb. Place lamb on top of the vegetables.
5. Keep the frying pan on heat, add the stock cubes and water, and stir with the left over Moroccan spices until stock begins to boil.
6. Transfer stock and pour over the ingredients in the slow cooker.
7. Cook in slow cooker on high for 4 hours and then reduce heat to low for a further 2 hours.
8. When serving, lamb should be tender enough that it falls off the bone. Slice lamb on a chopping board. Serve by placing layered vegetables on each plate, placing lamb onto top. Pour left over juices over lamb and vegetables. If desired, you could also serve on meal on top of couscous.