It’s always sad to have a friend leave after a fun weekend.
Luckily, I get to see Laura again next weekend for a second round. For now, I’ll put my feet up and rest from all the crazy.
And for those of you who are curious, here’s a quick rundown of what we got into:
1. Laura got ridiculously stuck in rush hour traffic. Not that we were on a super strict time schedule, but it caused us to break out the beverages early due to the stress it caused.
I was more than happy to oblige with vodka lemonades. And don’t ask why I have vodka called Ice Kube. The store manager convinced me it was better than Svedka. I think he was just trying to get rid of it. What a trickster.
Laura drank the kool aid. And is upset this is the first time she’s been able to witness the greatness.
She is now an official Rod Tuffcurls fan. FRIENDZ!
3. Because of the late night dance-a-thon at the Rod show, we scrapped the idea of running on Saturday. And decided a walk to the beach was more appropriate.
This was also Laura’s first time visiting the beach. She could not believe Chicago had this lil’ hidden treasure.
Chicago is the awesomest. I simply cannot state this enough.
4. It’s a shame we didn’t run. However, there was plenty of walking. Not only did we walk on Saturday, we also wandered the neighborhoods on Sunday before she drove home.
I got to show off my new laces during said walk. Laura brought my belated birthday gift with her and it involved accessorizing my kicks. I’m now the coolest kid on the block! Weee!
5. We ate ALL THE FOODZ.
And dressed up to do so. Before silly shenanigans with some of our dude friends, we took ourselves on a dinner date to Frasca Pizzeria and Wine Bar .
Sure, I made homemade calzones the night before, but the polenta fries at Frasca blew my sweet cooking skills out of the water.
A garlic aioli was involved as the dipping sauce. I should apologize to the guy I was chatting with all night.
However, a little aioli didn’t deter him. Thank goodness.
6. Being too lazy to even pour ourselves bowls of cereal, we took ourselves out for breakfast on Sunday morning.
Laura requested a coffee shop atmosphere. She suggested Starbucks, but I quickly shot that down.
There are so many better places than Starsucks… come on, girl.
The chilaquiles (baked corn tortillas mixed in with tomatilla salsa, onions and parmesan cheese) were delicious. SUPER hot, but sometimes a good kick in the face like that is what you need to wake up. Am I right?
7. My official recovery came in the form of a 4-mile run this morning. I could have easily slept more, and totally justify it, but the strong desire to feel “back to normal” consumed me. And pre-5am gym time is apparently my normal.
I don’t understand it, either.
Have a great start to the week, kiddos. It’s crunch time in the office, so I hope I’ll be staying busy and happy and breezing through it all before a nice lil’ Labor Day vacay. Fabulous!