Today is Saturday and the day for my weekend long run. Because of my calf injury, my whole training schedule for Hyderabad Marathon has gone for a six! So, it's more in a fast forward mode now. This week I did two long runs i.e including today's run. Tuesday did a 10 km and today did a 20 km. Let me run you through the details of today's run.
1. Got up real early i.e at 0400 hrs. Got ready by 0430 hrs. Didn't find much in the fridge ( from next time I going to keep something to gorge on in the morning before a long run ), so ate a few Parle-G biscuits ( these are glucose based biscuits and gives instant energy ). Pocketed few because today's run was going to last for about 2 hours.
2. WARM UP - Did 6 Surya namaskars, walking lunges and high kicks. Picked a 500 ml bottle of water and pushed out of the door.
3. What I had planned for today was that I was going to cover each 5 km in 30 minutes, so that my goal of 20 km slow is achieved. At 0500 hrs, the roads were deserted except for few trucks and buses moving at a speed which will put Michael Schumaker in shame. Overall, there was less pollution, disturbance and cool breeze was blowing. I thanked my stars for such a lovely day and started pumping in kilometers.
4. In an hour of run i.e by 0600 hrs, I covered 10 km and started to hit back. I was feeling good and was running in a nice rhythm. I was thoroughly enjoying my run. I remembered then that I had few Parle-G biscuits in my shorts pockets( I have to buy a hydration pack or belt in which I can stash some food, water, money and cell phone ). I ate and drank on the run, well actually was practicing. It is, certainly, not easy to eat and drink, while on the move. While coming back back, few Army cross - country teams crossed me. Boy, they were running fast at 15 km mark.
5. Luckily, today I didn't feel any blister building up because I had applied Vaseline on blister prone areas before putting on my shoes in the morning. Route on which I was running today has a wonderful stretch beyond 5 km from the start. It's all green and almost no traffic with smooth road and also no stray dogs( I don't know why they like to chase me) and cows( means no minefields to cross ).
6. The last 5 km were bad in the sense that at 0630 hrs, Hyderabad traffic erupted out on the roads like an angry volcano. I shuffled back in a slower pace, occasionally racing some lone cyclist. By the time I reached home, it was 0700 hrs. The joint where quads meet the glutes and the calf muscles were hurting but still, surprisingly, I felt good and strong.
7. COOL DOWN - Not much energy was left to cool down properly, but I thought to run again on Monday, I need to cool down and stretch my muscles. Moved and walked around a bit, shaking my muscles. Did yoga to stretch hamstrings, glutes, quads and calf for 15 minutes. Thereafter, started thinking of breakfast. I was famished. Fixed myself a couple of sandwich of bread, cheese and chicken nuggets.
I guess that's it for today. My next long run will be a 30 km but on a weekday because I want to have a gap of at least 10 days before the marathon. One last thing. One long run is absolutely essential in a week to develop endurance i.e time spent on legs and to cut down weight. Till then, CIAO.