Caraway seeds are one of the main spices used in making dishes in traditional European cuisines. Caraway seeds have a strong aroma and belong to the parsley family of herbs and spices. The scientific term for caraway seeds is Carum Carvi. If you are in Europe then you will find caraway seeds used often in your dishes. Aside from being an aromatic herb, there are also many health benefits of Caraway seeds which we will discuss further in this post.
Caraway is found growing in Europe, Northern parts of Africa as well as small regions in Asia. The seeds of caraway are similar to cumin seeds; they are crescent shaped and dark brown in color. The herbaceous Caraway plant blooms once in two years. The height of the plant reached two feet.
1. First of all, caraway seeds is extremely rich in nutrients, minerals, vitamins as well as antioxidants. So apart from its medicinal properties, there are also many health benefits of Caraway seeds that are good for us.
2. The health benefits of Caraway seeds are amazingly a very good source of fiber from food. Just about 100 grams of seeds provides 38 grams of dietary fiber. Amazing? Right! They add bulk and help treat constipation by helping the gut pass the food through it. As a matter of fact the health benefits of Caraway seeds reduces the time it takes for the food to pass through the gastro intestinal system.
3. The fiber in caraway seeds also binds the toxic substances in the food and safeguards the mucus membrane in the colon from cancerous growth. The fiber also binds the salts from the bile and stops it from getting reabsorbed in the colon. These health benefits of Caraway seeds help in reducing the levels of bad cholesterol in the body.
4. Caraway seeds is loaded with many healthy oils. Thus, the health benefits of Caraway seeds come from compounds like carvone, carveol, thujone, pinen and many more. These compounds give the caraway seeds its antioxidants properties and makes it a great digestive aid. Caraway seeds also reduce flatulence in the body.
5. The health benefits of Caraway seeds are loaded with many important vitamins. Caraway seeds have Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Vitamin E in good quantity. It also has many Vitamin B nutrients such as thiamin, riboflavin, niacin in it.
6. Caraway seeds is also loaded with many important minerals in it some of them are iron, copper, potassium, calcium, zinc, selenium, magnesium as well as manganese. All these minerals are health benefits of Caraway seeds that are required by the body for one function or the other. Like, copper as well as iron is needed for the optimum production on RBCs. Zinc is essential required by many enzymes for the proper growth and development of the human system, the production of sperm as well as good digestion. Potassium is important for proper heart beat and blood pressure.
7. Caraway seeds have potent antioxidant properties. It has compounds which help in eradication of free radicals from the body. Free radicals are responsible for aging of the body and caraway seeds help stop the free radicals from being active.
1. Caraway seeds have been used as a home remedy to cure flatulence and indigestion for ages.
2. Caraway seeds are used in as an active ingredient in many mouth washes and gargling solutions
3. Caraway seeds is used in the herbal treatment for muscle sores, bronchitis, irritable bowel syndrome.