The Little Vegan Pie that Could (aka 4 Ingredient Pumpkin Pie)
Posted Dec 08 2010 1:54pm
I’ve been holding onto this recipe for weeks now. I’m calling it the Little Vegan Pumpkin Pie that Could because I made about 6 of them and it only requires 4 ingredients. Ok, 5 if you include the crust. Easy, healthy and vegan are the key words here, and my veg-skeptic relatives (and taste tester boyfriend) devoured the slices.
One of the secrets here is using Pumpkin Pie Mix from a can instead of just pumpkin puree. At first, the thought of this made me a shudder (pumpkin snob much?). Would a true baker use something with the word mix? Yes, yes she would. At least in this case. Pumpkin Pie Mix is vegan by default and not nearly as processed or scary as I imagined. You should check the labels per brand but most of the canned mixes include pumpkin puree, a sweetener such as cane juice and spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and allspice.
So here goes…
The Little Vegan Pumpkin Pie that Could
Adapted from this recipe . Makes 2 Pies
You will need:
8 ounces tofu cream cheese
30 ounces canned Pumpkin Pie Mix
1 1/4 cups soaked raw cashews (soaked overnight in salted water)
2 tsp cinnamon*
2 graham cracker pie crusts (again, check the labels, but a lot of brands are vegan)
*In one of the batches I made I accidentally used almost 2 tablespoons of cinnamon! Probably closer to 1 1/2. Fear not, it still came out delicious. Feel free to experiment with spices.
**Another note. I use a Magic Bullet high powered blender/food processor. However, for one of my batches, I had to use my mom’s conventional blender. It still works, but mix the ingredients in a bowl first and puree the mixture in batches. I split it into about half.
1. Soak your raw cashews in salted water overnight or at least 6 hours. They should be pretty soft and break apart easily. This is important. If your cashews are too hard it’s going to make pureeing much more difficult.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
3. Get all your ingredients together. I left the cream cheese out for a little bit to soften.
4. Drain your nuts and set aside.
5. In a food processor ** (see note above for blender instructions), add the cream cheese, pumpkin pie mix and cashews.
6. Blend on high until a creamy mixture is reached. Pulse in additional cinnamon (or your other spices).
6. Pour your puree into your two pie crusts.
7. Swirl and smooth.
8. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes. Cool. Place in fridge to firm before serving.
AND THAT’S IT! Now you can see why I made 6. One last note, this makes a fine breakfast.