Kefir is a drink which is made by fermenting milk with the grains of kefir. This drink was first used in the Caucasus region. The word kefir was formed by combination of two Persian words… kef means foam and shir means milk. The grains of kefir are used to prepare this drink by fermenting milk. This drink has a mixture of bacteria, yeasts, proteins, lipids as well as polysaccharides. The grains of kefir are similar to the shape of cauliflower. They are known to be a good source of good bacteria also known as probiotic. The many health benefits of kefir have given it the name of a miracle drink.
The preparation of Kefir:
To make a kefir drink one has to add live grains of kefir to milk. As the fermentation of milk takes place, the grains of kefir grow and propagation of new kefir grains take place. The milk of goat, cow or even sheep can be used to make the kefir drink. Substitute of milk can also be used to make the kefir drink such as rice milk, coconut milk as well as soy milk. In traditional time the kefir drink was made in skin bag, which needs to be stirred time and again to make sure that the grains of kefir and milk are properly mixed. Fermentation of milk with kefir grains will produce a beverage which looks like yogurt, is sour and marginally alcoholic. The mixture is then strained to separate the kefir grains and what you get is the magical kefir drink.
The health benefits of kefir drink:
Kefir has plenty of health benefits which are due to the presence of good number of healthy microorganisms in the kefir grains. These microorganisms help in improving the digestion process and improving health of a person in general. Kefir is also a good source of significant vitamins as well as important amino acids. The most important benefits of kefir are:
1. Kefir is an antifungal as well as antibiotic drink. It can greatly improve the health of a person suffering from ailments like heart conditions, AIDS or yeast infection.
3. Kefir drink has many important minerals as well as vitamins. It is a good source of Vitamin A, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B12, Vitamin K and Vitamin D. The important minerals present in this drink are magnesium, calcium and phosphorus.
5. Kefir enhances the immunity power of a person and increases the resistance power of a person to any disease.
8. Kefir has antioxidants as well as anti-aging agents.
9. Kefir helps calm the nervous system. Helps with depression and sleeping disorder.