A healthy home environment is crucial to any detox. Did you know that even on the worst air quality day, the air in our homes is up to five times more polluted than the air outside? For us, that means inhaling and absorbing those toxins on a daily basis. Yikes! Luckily, there are a few simple things you can do to make your home healthy and toxin-free.
1. Get rid of everything in your pantry and refrigerator that’s expired. Bonus step, read the ingredients on everything and get rid of anything that has high-fructose corn syrup or the words “enriched” or “hydrogenated” on the label.
2. Clear the air. Open your windows and doors as much as possible to let fresh air in. Also, keep a few house plants around – they’re natural air purifiers. Plants “breathe” in carbon dioxide and release oxygen, cleaning and purifying the surrounding air in the process.
3. Visit the myhealthyhome.com website and sign-up for your own free account to learn how to make your home toxin-free. Even better, buy the corresponding book, The Healthy Home, filled with excellent ideas and practical steps to purify your home environment. Fifteen bucks well spent!
Bonus: If you live in Denver, come to the FREE Healthy Home Tour put on by the authors of the book. It will be an exciting evening of healthy home demonstrations and learning. I’ll be there, so let me know if you’d like to join me!
4. Go through your closets and pull out anything you haven’t worn in a year and donate it to a worthy cause. If you think you still want some of the items, put them in a box and label it with the date one year from now. If you don’t miss it/forget what’s in the box, don’t open it. Just donate it in a year.
5. Check Out Freecycle - http://www.freecycle.org/ It’s a free recycling network that’s a “grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (and getting) stuff for free in their own towns.” Get rid of anything cluttering your life or home.
Have more tips to detox your home? Share with others by leaving a comment below.