I do not watch "The Biggest Loser" every week, but I heard last week Jillian stated that snacking inhibits weight loss. Sorry Jillian, I respectfully disagree. I understand that some people may go too far with their snacking portions or neglect to take into account snacking calories when planning for the day. However, I do not think snacking inhibits weight loss for most people, as long as it is done correctly.
In fact, in theory, snacking should not inhibit weight loss, but it should help it! Snacking keeps you from being hungry, and it keeps your metabolism working. I eat 3 snacks a day, one at about 10 am, one at 3pm and one at 7:30pm. I find that for me, I will eat less at meal times if I am not concerned about trying to stay full for 5 or 6 hours a time. If I add 100 calories to my breakfast, I will still be hungry before lunch, but by adding a 100-150 calorie snack mid morning, I am easily held over until lunch.
I have lots of favorite snacks. Previously, my snacks were mainly part of my day to keep me from starving. Lately I have been trying to change my snacks a bit so that they can contribute nutritionally to my food intake. Here are some snacks I have been known to eat...
1. Cheerios- Anyone who knows me knows of my love for Cheerios. The little yellow car they have included in the box lately is a reminder that Cheerios are marketed towards little kids, but what can I say? I love them! 1 cup of Cheerios is 100 calories. There are certainly more nutritionally sound snacks, but they always satisfy me because they take a lot of time and chewing to eat. Something about crunching just keeps me full for longer.
2. Baby Carrots and Hummus- Carrots are just so easy to eat and the hummus keeps me full and provides some protein and healthy fats. Eric has been making homemade hummus lately and I am totally benefiting!
3. Greek Yogurt- Delicious and 16 grams of protein in just over 100 calories? How can you go wrong?!
4. Pretzels- Okay, I know- nothing awesome here but pretzels always settle my stomach, and it's that crunchy thing again that keeps me full :)
5. Apple with a tiny bit of peanut butter or almond butter- fruit + protein, yum!
Other things I considered adding to the list include: cantaloupe, yogurt, cookies (must be soft), chocolate, chips, my homemade black bean & veggie pizza, carrot ginger soup, and hummus...
What would be on your TOP TEN?
One final note: Today was kind of one of those "blah" days...it's snowing again, I'm tired and not feeling awesome still, I had to sit through another boring professional development all day, whine whine whine, but it's all okay because...
And close up!!!
Beautiful!!! And the best part? I did not buy these babies for myself- I've never even seen them. My AMAZING college roommate saw them and just decided to buy them for me. She said it was an early bachelorette present (do people even get those? Let's just say I will not be wearing these outside anytime soon, it's a sloppy MESS outside and I am keeping these looking amazing! For now. But I am wearing them now :) Life is good.