Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:
Search posts:

Sick Update + Correlation

Posted Mar 24 2013 12:56pm

I didn’t mean to leave you all hanging ever since I posted about my first ER scare, but this past week has been a whirlwind, to say the least.

After that initial trip to the ER, I was actually back in there the next day for over 8 hours. I woke up feeling dizzy and unable to breathe again, so I ended up going to the regular doctor. Since I was first told I had costochondritis and a partially collapsed lung, the doctor was worried and wanted me to just go back to the ER. So, that’s what I did.

After a LONG wait, they ran a bunch of other tests and turns out I was misdiagnosed the night before. I did not have costochondritis, and I did not have a partially collapsed lung.

I was relieved, confused, and scared all at the same time. Luckily, my mom actually drove up to Gainesville to be with me and get this all figured out. They took blood and they found my CO2 was a bit high, which they typically find in asthma patients. I also did a breathing test before and after I was given an inhaler, and they found that I responded to that as well, which they typically see in asthma patients.

This was confusing, since I have never had asthma in my entire life. Why all of a sudden at 20 am I having an asthma attack? So, they gave me the inhaler and sent me on my way.


It really did help my breathing which I was thankful for. This doesn’t mean I will have asthma forever, but I did, in fact, apparently have an asthma attack. The next day, the dizziness continued. My mom was there to drive me to class and everything, but I continued to feel like I was on a boat and had to leave in the middle of class each time. I ended up missing the entire week of school because I just could not function or concentrate.

Since the dizziness continued, we knew it had to be more than just an asthma attack. These symptoms didn’t even match up with each other, so we were been stumped.

After about two days of sleeping in my apartment, my mom started to get sick. She hasn’t been sick in years. She started to get congestion, a cough, sneezing, etc. My mom is allergic to mold. Then it hit us, could it be from when my apartment got flooded?

Once I was flooded, mold was the first thing on our minds. We were afraid something like this could happen, and it is weird that it has been about a month since then, which is usually the amount of time mold needs to grow. We didn’t see any visible spots of mold, but it could easily be in the walls, the air ducts, etc.

Things really started to make sense then because my roommate has had a sinus infection for a while, her boyfriend gets sick when he comes over, and my other roommates boyfriend refuses to sleep over because he cannot sleep or breathe when he does.

We decided we needed to get out of the apartment just in case, so that’s what we did. My mom, Bentley, and I packed up some stuff and went into a hotel.

IMG_0563 IMG_0564 IMG_0565

The hotel was amazing, and we stayed there for a couple nights. My breathing got better, and I was using my inhaler only once a day or none at all.


Bentley cuddles helped me, too. Winking smile

Anyway, we were glad to get out of the apartment, and it seemed like too much of a coincidence for this not to be the problem.

Although my breathing did get a lot better, I have still been dizzy and just unstable. I can’t even explain the feeling, but it feels like I’m on a boat, I can’t concentrate, I am unsteady, and I have slow reactions to things. It’s just weird and scary.

I decided to come home for the week to go to the doctors, get tests done, and just focus on getting better. I have been laying in bed the entire week because I feel dizzy just to walk, I’m weak, and just have NO energy. I definitely have not been to the gym all week either. I miss it, but I haven’t even thought I was capable of going – that’s when you know something’s wrong with me, when I don’t want to workout. Haha! I’m just focusing on walking around the house. It sucks.

I’ve been so stressed about missing ANOTHER week of school and catching up on my work. However, my health is the most important thing to me. If I do not get better within this week, I will probably have to withdrawal from my classes. That is the last thing I want to do, but I just don’t know what can happen.

I will never, ever take my health for granted ever again. All I want is to be normal again, and it’s really tough trying to stay positive throughout all this. I know it could be a LOT worse though, so I need to count my blessings.


I do not know if it was definitely mold or not since I haven’t been to the doctor yet, but I will keep you all posted. Of course googling things is giving me more anxiety, ha. I didn’t want to post this for sympathy or anything, but I just wanted to remind you all not to take your health for granted, it is SO important.

I didn’t mean for this to get SO long, but that’s what has been going on with me lately. Thank you all so much for your well wishes. It means the world to me. <3


Have you ever dealt with mold?

Has your house/apartment ever been flooded?

Post a comment
Write a comment:

Related Searches