Today's Sweaty Sesh:
Run: Frostbite Footrace 5K at 1:00pm
Most races are in the wee hours of the morning. Unless of course you pick one that isn't...
We have a 5K today that kicks off at 1:00pm. My pre-race ritual gets all sorts of jumbled up when I have an afternoon race... mainly because I need to eat more than just a banana before the big show. Here's a few things I do/don't do:
1. I do stick with what I know. I don't try some new spice in my eggs or pop in the breakfast burrito I bought last night at the market that I'm dying to try. Instead I have one Kinnikinnick Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Muffin and a glass of water. This is not an advertisement for Kinnikinnick muffins but oh-my-yummy; they are so good.
2. After I eat I focus on the race for the remainder of my morning. Whether it's a 5K or a 26.2 miler, I use the extra time to pump a stream of positiveness through my pea-sized brain.
Mother Nature was quite beautiful this morning, wouldn't you agree?
3. Negative, get gone! If you're anything like me... your brain offers you some negative thoughts as little snacks throughout the day. I liken these thoughts to eating sweet pickles. GROSS. Just don't do them. Tell your brain to STOP; and refocus yourself on only your best.
4. You are what you eat. Yes, today I will be a chocolate chip muffin-banana-yogurt-gatorade running freak. Decide what works well for you... my diet might not jive with most runners but it works for me and that's what matters.
5. The more toilet time, the better. Yes, I'm totally going there. The more you focus on your race the more apt you are to spend some time on the pot. This is good. Unless, of course, you enjoy ducking behind a bush mid-race. Yeah, I didn't think so.
What tips do you have for a pre-afternoon race ritual?