Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:
Search posts:

namasday: 40 Days Week 1 + Cherry Blossom 10 Miler Recap

Posted Apr 08 2013 2:19pm

The past week has flown by, probably because it has been an exciting one, filled with my first seven days of 40 Days to Personal Revolution and the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler!

40 Days: Days 1-7
I've been enjoying 40 Days so far! Something that was really unexpected for me after I began to read Baptiste's book and after our first meeting was the amount of personal inquiry included in the program. Certainly my goals coming into the program had to do with yoga and eating well, but I'm also realizing that perhaps I came to the program to preserve a sense of myself while I'm going through a lot of changes.

This week I completed six asana practices, as the program prescribes, including one verrrrrry early in the morning; I had to get into the studio before my marathon of Tuesday classes.  Tuesday will normally be my rest day, but this week I had to suck it up and get to class because I knew I would want to rest after the 10 Miler on Sunday!

Post-yoga glow!'s probably the sweat.

Besides getting up early, the program definitely has its challenges. By Saturday afternoon my legs were creaky and my shoulders were sore.  I really did not want to go to the afternoon class; curling up on the couch with Jake and carbo-loading for the race seemed so much better. But I showed up anyway, which helped me clear my head and get into pre-race mode.

I've also had trouble getting into a regular meditation routine. Especially on busy days, it was really hard to set that time aside. I hope to improve my meditation record this week.

Last week's theme was presence, and the studio helped us do a lot of reflecting about what being present looks like to us. I've realized that when I'm not present my relationships definitely suffer and I'm more reactive. Focusing on being present is helpful to analyze my own emotions and the reasons behind my feelings.

I've also been fairly successful with the coffee cut back- I only had five cups last week (one before the race, as is my ritual), which I think is a heck of a lot better than the 10-15 I was drinking before!

Cherry Blossom 10 Miler Race Recap!
Perhaps the race deserves its own post, but I like to think that my asana practice this week contributed to me achieving goals I otherwise thought were unattainable!

The Cherry Blossom 10 Miler was such a great race. I complained a lot about training for it and wasn't sure if I could even run 10 miles, but I did! I chalk it up to having the support of Mike and Gina and, for the most part, sticking to my training plan even when I really wished I didn't.

I got up around 5:30 to get to the race by 7 (one of the downsides of living further out in Virginia, for sure). I was a little tired since my sleep had been a bit fitful, but I was excited for the race, so I got my butt moving onto the bus and metro after a PB&J on Ezekiel bread and some coffee.

The race was huge! The energy at the start was definitely electric. I caught this cool shot of people warming up while I waited for Gina to arrive.

Love the Capitol in the distance!
Gina and I set up near the 9 min/mile pacer, but we quickly blew past him. My plan had been to save up my energy and run around a 9 min mile for about the first half of the race, but that proved difficult. Gina and I weaved about the crowd (which eventually caused Gina to take a tumble into a lamppost -- so scary! she got right back up though, cause she's a champ!) and when we hit the Memorial bridge she upped the ante and took off to about an 8:19 pace. Since my goal pace was 8:30, I let her scurry off ahead, turned up my Ben Folds running mix, and found my stride.

I really enjoyed the course. A lot of folks have been saying how "boring" it is, but I never get tired of beautiful sites, and this race was a great reminder of DC's beauty. My least favorite part was the trek out to Hains Point -- brr! The wind was wicked and I was very glad for my long sleeves. I was grateful for the spectators dotted along the course, and felt so special when they shouted out my name, which was printed on my bib.

I zoomed into the finish at around 7:15 for the last quarter mile. I have no idea where that energy came from, but I was happy to be done and proud of my accomplishment!

Now I'm off to yoga and eager to stretch out these tired legs. Namaste!
Post a comment
Write a comment:

Related Searches