Mango Ginger Maple Tofu, 5 Goals for the Rest of 2010 & Blogging
Posted Jul 05 2010 3:33pm
Hi Friends! Do you have today off work or school because it's a legal holiday here? I hope you have it off and that your weekend was relaxing, wonderful, and awesome! Scott had to get back to work today so Skylar and I went to the gym, ran some errands, and I dreamt up some new recipes!
Did you go see any fireworks last night? At 9pm, I stepped out onto my balcony (we have a 4 story house with a master bedroom 4th floor balcony so the view is pretty nice) and I saw 3 shows going on simulataneously.
I realize the picture is not too hot but left, middle, center, you can see the red, white, red on the horizon line.
And then Blue, White, Blue
The show in the middle was sure exploding a lot of money into the air was the best show.
As I mentioned, I really don't care about fireworks for more than 10 minutes, so I was watching them with one eye and commenting on blogs with the other.
Recently TofuXpress Sent me a Tofu Press. I have been wanting one of these, forever.
Place your Tofu in the box, apply pressure with the lid/spring and lock in place....
...And in just 30 seconds watch the water come out!
I love this gadget after only my first use because it produced Firm, Dense, wonderful Tofu!I hate mushy tofu! And I have since made another batch of tofu and it was just as good the second time around! I'm joining the ranks ofAnna , Janetha , Mama Pea , and others, I am a total believer in the TofuXpress !
I figured I needed to come up with a stellar recipe to do justice to my new gadget. Previously, I've made Sesame Ginger Maple Tofu and that is really tasty but I wanted to come up with something new!
I think this new recipe holds its own, especially since Skylar snarfed down nearly the entire batch in a siting!
Averie's Mango Ginger Maple Tofu 1/4 C Mango Chutney (if you don't have this, use any kind of mango or orange preserves, i.e. jam/jelly, or use fresh fruit that's so abundant right now like nectarines/peaches/mangoes and dice/mash into 1/4 c worth) 1/4 C Maple or Agave 1 to 2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar (or Orange Juice) 1 Tsp Ground Ginger
Optional: 1 to 2 Tbsp EVOO Pinch of Cayenne Pinch of Chili Powder
If you don't have this, use any kind of mango or orange preserves, i.e. jam/jelly, or use fresh fruit that's so abundant right now like nectarines/peaches/mangoes and dice/mash into 1/4 c worth
Stir to Combine
Slice the Tofu. I prefer to slice mine thinner because I like dense, well-cooked tofu.I do not like it mushy, I like it dense. Thinner slices helps me achieve the texture I prefer.
I got 18 Slices from 1 Block of Extra Firm Tofu
Allow to Marinade for 15 minutes to Overnight. I was anxious so did about 20 minutes.
Place Tofu on a Non Stick and/or Sprayed Cookie Sheet
Bake at 450F for 15-18 Minutes. Watch it based on your oven and desired "done" level. Flip Over and Bake for another 3 to 8 Minutes, or to your desired level. The second side will cook Fast. Watch it. If you don't like well-done tofu, then reduce the cooking time but I cannot stand mushy tofu.
You can make this ahead of time and store in the Fridge in a Container for a few days. I have to cook ahead of time based on our schedule and a child rather than making dinner from start to finish when everyone's hungry and it's late.
Skylar went to town on these for Lunch!!!
She's trying to comprehend why we cannot eat 450F degree tofu immediately out of the oven. We must wait for them to cool.Blow on it. Or just stare at it.
Almost burning her mouth
This face says it all:She ate the entire container except for 2 strips I took for myself and 3 strips that I held onto for Scott to try for dinner. He also said it was great.And trust me, he's not a "Tofu Guy".
I will definitely be making Mango Ginger Maple Tofu Again Soon!
I liked everyone's account of connecting to holidays . It sounds like most of you don't necessarily connect all that deeply to the true meaning of holidays and why we're celebrating, but I think that's part of our societal evolution to being more secular and more commercialized. I'm glad that we're at least aware of it, and possibly trying to be more mindful in the future about why we celebratecertain holidays. I try my best with Skylar to help her connect to the holidays and make sure the meaning isn't totally lost in a sea of Easter Bunnies, Firecrackers, and Santa Clauses.
Picking up change ? Fun to hear who picks up what. I am a quarter and up girl. I had no idea about this Penny's with Heads Up vs. Tails Up thing. Many of you only pick up pennies with the Heads up. I had no idea that was a superstition kind of thing.I learn something new every day from my readers, thanks all your smarty pants!
Questions 1. Do you have today off? Did you do anything special with your day? I didn't really do anything special but that's okay because I have a busy Tuesday (blogger meetup!) and a busy Wednesday ( Tattoo consult with the artist I thought had a two-year wait !).
2. Do you like tofu? Do you make it at home? If so, feel free to leave a link to your favorite way to prepare it. I went for 5+ years without making it. Just recently I started making it again but with my food allergies , I can only eat a modest amount of edamame and tofu but I don't go overboard with them or I have food allergy symptoms . Ugh. Another reason I never liked to make tofu at home is that I couldn't get the dense, thick, Whole Foods tofu perfection down pat. The TofuXpress has helped me come as close to WF's tofu as I have ever been!
3. Did you see any fireworks over the weekend? I didn't go out in search of any, but was able to see a show from my 4th floor balcony as I mentioned.
4. Can you believe that 2010 is half over now? I am pretty shocked because time in so many ways did stand still for me in Phoenix but in many other ways, time has flown by. And being back in San Diego, it's really flying by because I am out living life and having fun!
Forget about any goals you intended to achieve or resolutions you made for the first half of the year, but going forward, is there anything you'd really like to accomplish before the year is over?
Here are 5 things I want to do: 1. Pay off/down my credit card debt that I incurred for the first time in my life due to our Phoenix fiasco. It weighs on my mind and soul. I hate debt but with one income and living in SoCal, it will take time to pay it off.
2. Spend less time on my computer. Period. This means less blog reading/commenting, less random internet surfing, just unplug more! More real life, less computer life.
I love my blog and writing it, I love my blog friends and readers, and I love the amazing people I have met the past year. I will always write my blog, but I am finding it increasingly difficult to keep up with the 'sphere at large and I am stressed out by trying to. So, I am going to stop trying to comment on every single blog post that I read. I will read some of your blogs in stealth, and some blogs I simply can't get to, every day. That may sound a little off-putting, but there are only so many hours in the day and I am reading and commenting on 50+ blogs daily and Idon't want to do this anymore. I know you guys understand that I have a life, a child, a husband, and gosh, Prime Time TV, books and magazines, yeah, I'd like to try those again!
3. Compete in another Fitness Competition . I have a date and show in mind, but I don't plan to reveal it to the world at this point. The suspense will have to kill you...kidding!
4. Study for and Take my ACE Personal Trainer Certification . This totally fell off my radar screen with our move to San Diego and in order to do this, goal #2 just has to happen.
5. Be a better, kinder, gentler, more loving wife and mother. This is a lifetime goal; no one's perfect, we always need to look in the mirror and keep ourselves honest.
What are your goals or intentions for the rest of 2010?