How To Use Ajwain (Bishop’s Weed Herb) To Treat Common Ailments
Posted Apr 11 2011 12:00pm
Ajwain is the Indian name of the herb called Bishop’s Weed. This herb is commonly used as a spice in Indian cuisine and it is also an active ingredient in many medicines. The seeds of ajwain may be small in size but they are pretty hot and penchant in taste. The tiny seeds of ajwain are packed with many health benefits which can ease health problems like stomach pain, mouth problems, vomiting, abdominal tumor and many other problems.
Some of the health benefits of Ajwain are:
1. Stomach problem: Ajwain is extremely helpful in providing relief in spasmodic discomfort related to the intestine and stomach. Ajwain can be taken by adults as well as children alike. Any pain related to flatulence, stomach infection or indigestion can be cured with the help of ajwain. Mix one teaspoon of ajwain along with 1/8 teaspoon of salt in lukewarm water and sip it.
2. Headache related to migraine or : This is an age old Ayurvedic remedy, grind ajwain seeds and make a powder, place the same in a clean thin cloth and keep smelling the same.
3. Digestion aid: Ajwain is good for digestion. You can mix one teaspoon powdered ajwain in a glass of buttermilk and a pinch of salt, this helps in easing any digestion related problem. Ajwain also has anti acidic properties.
4. and bronchitis: This simple home cure involving ajwain is helpful in providing relief in asthma and bronchitis. Make a mixture of ajwain and jaggary, heat the same till it becomes a paste. Have one teaspoon of this paste two times in the day. This paste is helpful in getting rid of mucus and providing relief in asthma or bronchitis. Note: People suffering diabetes must not take this remedy as it contains jiggery which is high in sugar.
5. Stomach problem related to alcoholic consumption: Those who have excess of alcoholic drinks are prone to suffering from stomach problems. In such a case, take half or one teaspoon of ajwain two times in a day with warm water. This remedy is helpful in reducing the alcohol craving.
6. Ear ache: The oil of ajwain is helpful in easing ear ache. You can use the oil at room temperature or warm it a little and use it as ear drop.
7. Tooth ache: Prepare a gargle concoction by boiling ajwain and a pinch of salt in water, let the water stand till it is lukewarm and gargle with it two to three times in a day.
9. Heartache: Mix one teaspoon of this herb in hot water and sip the same to ease heartache.
10. Pain: Use ajwain oil to massage your legs or knees or any other part of the body affected by rheumatic pain to provide relief.
11. Kidney stone: Take ajwain seeds along with honey and vinegar for about a week. This remedy helps in dissolving kidney stones and flushing it out with urine.
13. Nasal blockage: Heat powdered ajwain and wrap it in a thin cloth, sniff the same to open blocked nasal passage.