With heavy rains lashing cities and towns alike, eating roadside food has lost its fancy. At least for now! The onset of monsoon not only brings more mosquitoes and crickets with it, it also brings along diarrhea (loose motions) and many other woes.
So, why did your perfectly working tummy go sick?
- Infections! Consuming contaminated food or water carries bacteria such as E.coli into your guts and infects it. Parasites are also responsible for causing diarrhea.
- Lactose or fructose intolerance can also cause diarrhea.
- Other not so common reasons include diseases such as diabetes or pancreatitis. Excessive consumption of alcohol or coffee and artificial sweeteners.
Having looked at the causes and symptoms of this sickness, here’s how you can fix this problem!
- Diarrhea results in loss of excess water from the body. Along with the water, important electrolytes like sodium, chloride and potassium are also flushed out of the body. You have to make sure that your body doesn’t go dry. Make an electrolyte solution by mixing half teaspoon of salt and four teaspoons of sugar in a liter of water.
- Yogurt is your best friend during this time. Make sure it contains live cultures of bacteria in it. These cultures contain the good bacteria which fight up the bad bacteria causing you your problem.
- Consume only bland food which is easy to digest. Get your hand on bananas, apples, carrots and rice. The fiber soaks up the excess water in your system. Starchy food like tapioca, potatoes also help but make sure they aren’t fried.
- Avoid fruit juices, grapes, milk, cheese and other dairy products. Also, say no to beans, cabbage, Brussels sprouts as they contain roughage. Stay away from fried or greasy foods.
- Blackberry tea, chamomile tea, raspberry tea or black tea – any of these help a great deal. But don’t even go near coffee as it stirs up the intestines. You don’t want that in your condition!
- Adults can take half tea spoon of fenugreek seeds with water.
- Put a small piece of ginger in water and boil it. Strain the liquid and add some honey to it before drinking it.
- Mix black seed oil to yogurt and drink this mixture twice a day.
Make sure to get enough rest and keep away from stressful work. Getting enough rest and taking proper care of yourself will fix you up in no time. If home remedies do not work do not hesitate to consult a doctor.