Holiday Gift Ideas for Runners: Intermediate & Advanced Enthusiasts
Posted Dec 06 2011 5:41am
Last week we looked at the best gift ideas for runners starting with the newbies , and this week I’m sharing the gifts for the more advanced runner in your life.
“If you run, you are a runner. It doesn’t matter how fast or how far. It doesn’t matter if today is your first day or if you’ve been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.” ― John Bingham
- Garmin Forerunner : Looking to be more effective when conditioning? Garmin Forerunner is by far the best investment I have ever made. I have an older model but the 305 and 405 series are fantastic. With Garmin, no more guessing your time or pace. Garmin has helped me train and improve my pace, time and time again. If you have thought about getting one of these, now is the time. Buy one.
- Running Socks: In a battle of which came first, the sock or the shoe, it’s a tough debate. Runner’s feet can take a serious beating and it’s important your socks protect your tootsies. Thorlo makes a terrific compression sock to keep your feet dry and blister free. Be mindful that you will want a different sock for the winter and summer months.
- Hydration Belt: If you have plans of running more than 6 miles then you know staying hydrated is critical for your performance. Unless your friends are willing to set up water stations for you, a FuelBelt is ideal for not weighing you down on your run. Personally, I like minimalist fuel belts; nothing on my back or in my hands.
- Yankz: No more stopping mid-race to tie a shoe. The Yankz Sure Lace system is made of expandable cords which fit to your foot and don’t move during your runs. I put in Yankz once before a race and never had to tie my shoe again, until I bought a new pair.
- Nike Element Half Zip: The elements are tricky and having this hoodie in your arsenal is a good way to make sure you don’t miss out on any fair weather runs. When I am not sure about the temp, I can typically run in this top with a sports bra underneath. Lightweight and comfy, not too toasty.