1. a state of equilibrium or equipoise; equal distribution of weight, amount, etc.
2. mental steadiness or emotional stability; habit of calm behavior, judgment, etc.
3. the power or ability to decide an outcome by throwing one'sstrength, influence, support, or the like, to one side or the other.
There were over 10 definitions of balance but I selected the above three because they apply to our sense of balance within our mind, our body and our life. Balance is a very subjective idea, would you agree? My idea of balance likely feels very different than your idea of balance.
But we know this is certain: balance gives us a sense of peace, comfort and constant energy.
So how do we find balance, maintain balance or improve balance during the holiday season?
1. Take care of YOU first, always. Do what feels good, do what feels right, and schedule time for only you. Make your priorities and place them on the TOP of your list! Whether that is spending more time with family, less time with family, time in the gym, time shopping or time with friends. Take care of your first. Then you will have more to give and more to share with those you love during this season.
2. Choose peace. Consider this idea: stress is cumulative, but peace is also cumulative. Everyday we have a choice. A choice to engage in behavior or activities that create stress in our lives and bodies OR we have the choice to engage in behavior or activities that bring us peace. So, what brings you peace? Is it 5 minutes of reading when you first wake up, closing your eyes at your desk for a moments break from work, meditating before bed or listening to your favorite holiday Pandora channel? Find what brings you peace and fill your day with as much of it as you can!
3. Say no. The holidays are a time for magic. It is a time to feel the message of this season. And that message is unique for each of us! Say no to things that stretch you, push you, or don't appeal to you.
4. Create a new tradition. Looking to change what this season is all about for you? Create a new tradition! This season is my most favorite of all. I can't help it…the decorations, the music, the lights…it warms me up. But it is always over with in the blink of an eye. So this season my new tradition is to write down my most favorite moment of each day during this season. A few so far: coffee with a friend drinking my beloved eggnog latte and curling up on the couch with my favorite Manheim Steamroller CD. Whatever the moment is I am going to hold on to it for as long as I can! Create a new tradition friends. One that enhances this season!
5. Ask for support. Reach out to the ones you love. A simple act. Share what you need, share what warms you up.
I hope these few ideas help bring a new sense of balance to your mind and body this season!