They weren't the prettiest looking cupcakes because they ended up being a little bit denser that I would have liked. I think it was because of the carrots. Nonetheless, they were really tasty and healthier than your average cupcake!
Healthier Carrot Cake Cupcakes (Warning: NOT gluten free)
Ingredients (Makes 18 cupcakes)
-1 cup whole wheat flour
-1 cup all-purpose flour
-1 cup brown sugar, packed
-2 eggs, large
-1/4c coconut oil, melted (OR you could try and sub apple sauce)
-1/2 cup (or 4 oz.) plain yogurt
-2 cups grated carrots
-1/2 cup raisins, golden
-1/2 cup almond milk, unsweetened
-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
2. In a large bowl, using a hand held mixer, mix together brown sugar, coconut oil, and eggs. Then add almond milk. Next, mix in 1 cup of flour, spices, and baking powder. Then add an egg, then add the second cup of flour and then the second egg. Finally, add in grated carrots and raisins and mix again.
3. Fill cupcake tins about 2/3 of the way full.
4. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.
Lower-Fat Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
-8 oz. 1/3 less-fat cream cheese
-2 cups confectioner sugar
1. In a medium size bowl, using a hand held mixer, mix together all ingredients for about 2-3 minutes. Depending on how thick you want your frosting, you may want to add more confectioner sugar!
I need to try a batch using gluten free flours...indeed I do.
What is your favorite cupcake and frosting combo?