Fit Mom’s 10 Summer Break Out & Get Fit Activities
Posted Jun 07 2011 2:41pm
How to Break Out of the House for the Summer!!
Are you a stay at home mom? Have little ones at home during the summer and are wondering what to do with them and you all day everyday for 2 months of non-school activities?
I am a stay at home mom on summer vacation starting in another 8 days and I can’t wait! My children and I have a long list of things we love to do in the summer. The main thing that I try to focus on in the summer is to stay busy and active. We’ve enrolled in one month of swimming lessons and a two week art class for both boys. They will love it and I’ll love to have them engaged in new things. I have two very busy boys who need both exercise and brain activities to keep them busy…can’t just do swimming lessons and can’t just do art…Also, as a mom, I try to make playdates with other fit mom friends so that I can remain engaged as well. Being a stay at home can be very isolating and depressing, so, in an effort to BREAK OUT, we makes dates with friends all the time.
Here is a list of possible summer activities to help you get a little exercise with your child this summer.
1. Visit the local library and find out the real aloud times.
2. Visit the local coffee shops for flyers on family activities that are local to you.
3. Visit your local YMCA and find out about all their summer classes and programs for both you and your kids! Maybe you can take a class together.
4. Find a church you like and visit often. Their are usually summer camps for kids and parents you can choose to attend.
5. If getting more exercise is your goal, get outside! Go for a hike, visit the park with the best views, find new parks, or go to a lake or stream and dig in the dirt.
6. Find a local mom support group such as SeeMommyRun, Stroller Strides, or Baby BootCamp and enroll yourself for a one month trial.
7. At your local park, while your child plays, you can do a variety of exercises just standing there- such as leg lunges, squats, tricep dips, or pushups.
8. Turn off the TV and move with your kid. We, my kids and I, have created a number of Mom and Kid stunts that we do just to fool around– lots of them resemble Partner Yoga (in this set).
9. Invest in a good pair of fitness shoes so that you can BREAK OUT and get some exercise on every opportunity. You can also try MizFit’s 100 Calorie Workouts.
10. Simply move.
Fit Mom is the owner of Fit Mom’s Blog and is passionate about all things related to fitness, food and her family.