Health knowledge made personal
Join this community!
› Share page:
Search posts:

Emerson: Week 1

Posted May 25 2013 10:07pm

(disclaimer: sorry I'm not sorry for the picture overload you’re about to get)

And just like that baby girl has been here for a week! week 1 (final)

Over the past week (actually 8 days) I have completely fallen in love with this sweet girl. I’ve taken millions of pictures and given her millions of kisses and spent endless hours just staring at her sweet face.

505 477

I mean how could you not? JUST LOOK AT HER?! I might be a little biased, but I do think that she is the most beautiful baby in the entire world.


Our first week with Emerson has been the best week of our lives, although not without a few bumps. Unfortunately I had to have a c-section, something that I was really, really hoping to avoid. Recovering from surgery while learning how to take care of a newborn, all while trying (keyword: trying) to manage post-partum hormones can be a bit overwhelming at times, to say the least.

I had Em at 1:25am Wednesday morning and we were in the hospital until mid-afternoon on Saturday (I do plan on writing her birth story soon). Those first few days in the hospital weren’t so bad, so I thought going home would be just as easy. I guess it helps when you have doctors, nurses and a husband to help you with every single thing, because when we got home I was completely and totally overwhelmed. Em had lost over 10% of her body weight in the hospital (about a pound) so getting her weight back up was a big stress (they almost didn’t let her come home with us). With that stress and the hormones I was a hot mess. I don’t think that I’ve shed that many tears in my lifetime, much-less in a 4 day window. There were happy tears, sad tears, stress tears, tired tears, overwhelmed tears, no reason for crying tears… just call me the Bubba Gump of tears. However once her weight came up and we found some sort of routine (I used the term routine very loosely) things started to get a little easier.

001 003

The past two days have gone much better for me. For one my swelling has gone away almost completely (the lower half of my body resembled Shrek for a while) so I’m feeling better and a little more like myself. We even ventured out for our first (very slow and short) family walk.


My mom came into town on Monday and has been a huge help. Between her and Tony it has almost been like being back at the hospital. They have made me resting/healing up a priority and have done all the laundry, dishes, cooking, and cleaning around the house. Leaving me to just feed the baby and relax. I’m so very grateful for both of them!

544 555

Masey has been adjusting slowly. At first she pretty much just stayed away from both me and the baby, but yesterday and today she has finally come around. She even snuggled with me last night during 3am feeding!


I’m totally in love with our little family. I want time to stand still and absolutely can’t wait to see what the future holds for us.


Post a comment
Write a comment:

Related Searches