Lymphoma- this type of cancer affects the lymphatic system·
· Myeloma- it specifically targets plasma cells.
Why is it necessary to become a donor?
Deletebloodcancer.org says that 150,000 Americans are diagnosed with a type ofblood cancer every year. Leukemia is one of the majorcontributing cases of childhood death in the
A donor and a patient are matched by comparing their humanleukocyte antigen (HLA). Simply put, it is finding your genetic twin out in the whole wide world. People with shared ancestry are more likely to possess matching HLA types.
For this reason it is very essential for people with certain racial or ethnic backgrounds to become donors. The minority backgrounds which are in urgent need for donors are
· African American
· South Asian or Pacific Islanders
· American Indian
· Hispanics or Latinos
· And people of mixed race
The procedure of collecting bone marrow
There are two ways to donate
1. Removal of bone marrow from the back of the pelvic bone. Don’t be scared, this procedure is carried out under general anesthetic. There are no major risks involved in this procedure. You may experience minor discomfort and may feel weak and tired after the procedure. After 1 to 7 days you are your usual self, raring to go, satisfied with all the good deeds you have done.
2. PBSC- Peripheral blood stem cell method. This involves filtering stem cells directly from the blood and returning the filtered blood back into your system. Before the procedure, donors receive a medication for 3-4 days that help the body make more stem cells. Many donors experience some flu-like symptoms while the body makes more cells.This process is safe.
How can you become a donor?
You can become a donor by registering online you can visit
https://www.deletebloodcancer.org/register/register-now.html for more information
You can get involved with the Delete Blood Cancer .org by1. Becoming a donor
2. Donating money for this sacred purpose
3. Organize a drive for which their staff will lend you all the support
4. Throw a swab party
5. Initiate a 1 week 100 cheeks campaign
If you require further information you can see
This is their Facebook and twitter pageFacebook : DeleteBloodCancer
Donate, become involved, save a life, be blessed and be a blessing.
Take good care,
Photo by Kiddaikiddie studio
Take care, Swarnam